1 minute test recording

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Faithzapata101

Post by Faithzapata101 » June 13th, 2018, 12:18 pm

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » June 13th, 2018, 1:49 pm

Hello Faith,

Welcome to LibriVox! Good to have you with us. :)

Thanks for this rendering of Poe. It is great as a test; the text is diverse enough to allow us to hear, see, and fix everything that needs fixing.

First off, your test is in stereo. We can't use stereo. Please change the number of channels in Preferences (Ctrl+P) - Devices - Recording to "1 (Mono)".

Second, your recording is too soft. We need more gain, more volume. It is controlled by the mic slider on the "Mixer" toolbar (the left slider).

Third, the position of the microphone with relation to your mouth is such that you breathe onto the very sensitive membrane, causing loud pops (at 1 second, ~15 seconds, ~39 seconds), when you pronounce the 'p' sound. Move the microphone slightly to the side, turn it slightly to point at your lips, and speak past the microphone.

Fourth, when exporting your MP3 file, please choose constant bitrate "mode", and pick 128 kbps as quality. You exported with variable bitrate and we can't use that.

Lastly, download and install Checker. Run your exported file through it and see what you get. You need to get "Passed". If you can't figure out how to get that, ask specific questions.

Hope to hear from you soon! :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please