1-minute Test ramiamarielleelagamy [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
ramiamarielleelagamy

Post by ramiamarielleelagamy » June 9th, 2018, 11:54 am

Link to test: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_ramiamarielleelagamy.mp3
System: Mac
Recorder: Zoom H6
Software: Adobe Audition

Thank you for your feedback!! :)

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » June 9th, 2018, 12:29 pm

Welcome!

The technical settings are all good, except the volume is a bit too low. It needs to be amplified by about 6 dB. You can either amplify all your recordings or adjust your input level higher.

You have a breathy "plosive" spike on your surname and some on P sounds. This is when your breath directly hits the mic, causing a pop or "wind in the microphone" sound. The one on your name will prevent you from amplifying the full 6 dB. Watch for these. To prevent them, move your mic so it's not directly in front of your mouth. I have mine at about 2:00. The mic is still pointed at your mouth, but your mouth is not pointed directly at the mic, allowing your explosive breaths on some sounds to pass by.

That's it!

There's a small program the spouse of a LibriVoxer developed to check the tech settings. If you're game, you can download it and use it to check the volume and other settings. It's here: http://cgjennings.ca/checker/

Use the latest versio. The volume information is in the Information tab. We aim for 89 dB, but anything between about 87 and 91 is good.

Try making these adjustments, then post another test. Use the same file name as your previous one, and post in this same thread when it's ready. :)
Fiction, open sections mostly adventure in Australia: It Is Never too Late to Mend
Irish Home Rule Arguments: Handbook on Home Rule
Sci-Fi removing memories: Dr. Heidenhoff's Process

ramiamarielleelagamy

Post by ramiamarielleelagamy » June 9th, 2018, 1:00 pm

Hello Tricia and thanks so much for your notes.

Thanks for the Checker too that is super handy. Here is my second attempt:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_ramiamarielleelagamy.mp3

Let me know if I got it right or what else I can do to improve!

Best,
Ra

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » June 9th, 2018, 1:04 pm

Tech settings are good, and plosives are gone. :thumbs:

This one has a lot more background noise than the other one did. Did you record in a different room, or was there more equipment or appliances running when you recorded, making more noise in the background?

I don't know what noise cleaning functionality Audition has. :? If you can clean up some of the noise or have your volume around here but with less background noise somehow, you'll be all set.
Fiction, open sections mostly adventure in Australia: It Is Never too Late to Mend

ramiamarielleelagamy

Post by ramiamarielleelagamy » June 9th, 2018, 1:12 pm

Thanks Tricia!
Tried to clean out the background noise tell me what you think: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_ramiamarielleelagamy.mp3

:D

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » June 9th, 2018, 3:13 pm

That'll do it! You're all set. Have fun!

ramiamarielleelagamy

Post by ramiamarielleelagamy » June 13th, 2018, 1:20 am

Thank you!! :)