One minute test-advice welcome

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
takaeha

Post by takaeha » May 26th, 2018, 6:01 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_takaeha.mp3

I can hear some high frequency squeal on my "s" sounds. Advice welcome. Would a pop filter help? I am running Audacity on Windows 10 with a blue yeti USB mic. My original recording needed the amplify effect in audacity in order to adjust for low levels. IDK if that is contributing to the squeal or not.

Thanks!

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » May 26th, 2018, 7:57 pm

Hi Takaeha -

Your recording is actually very good - you have an excellent voice with great enunciation! I do not think your s sounds are that bad at all!

As you thought though there are some technical issues with the recording which are fairly simple to fix.

First, the recording has some background noise and would benefit from cleaning. Here are the instructions to do it (which I have tried on your file already).
First, you need to add some silence to the end of your recording. At Librivox we need .5 - 1 second of silence at the beginning and 5 seconds at the end.
Next, highlight some of your "silence", say 0:10-0:50.
Effect>Noise Reduction>Get Noise Profile
Now select your entire recording (Ctrl - A on a PC)
Effect>Noise Reduction> I used 4, 6.00, 6. Toggle to reduce noise>OK.

Next, some of your export settings are not on target. The good news is with Audacity when you get them set, the program remembers them for future exports.
File>Export audio>(wherever you want to save it is fine).
Bit rate should be 'Constant'
Quality '128kbps'
Save the file.

Now, this is a useful bit of software for checking your recording before you upload it to be proof listened (which is what I am doing for you). It will go through all the checks - technical and volume and let you know if there is anything incorrect - it then issues a Fail/Passed with Warnings or a Passed based on what it finds and lists, if needed what the problems are. Try your recording that you just saved in this tool and hopefully you will Pass!
https://cgjennings.ca/checker.html

Hopefully you will get a Passed! Regardless of what happens, please upload your file to this thread again and I will take a look at it and see how you have done.

Good luck!

Lynda