Subtitled, "A Cyclopaedia of the condition and earnings of those that will work, those that cannot work, and those that will not work."
"The history of a people from the lips of the people themselves .. their labour, earnings, trials and sufferings, in their own unvarnished language, and to pourtray the condition of their homes and their families by personal observation of the places ..." "My earnest hope is that the book may serve to give the rich a more intimate knowledge of the sufferings, and the frequent heroism under those sufferings, of the poor ..."
Henry Mayhew was a social researcher and journalist. He compiled a four volume work in minute detail on the lives of the poor in London, of which this is the second volume, published in 1816.
This project is looking for prooflisteners. A DPL (Dedicated Proof Listener) would be preferred, but until one is found, we need prooflistening for completed sections.
Project thread: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=70327&p=1468237#p1468237
Please post in the project thread if you can help with proof-listening.
Level of PL: Standard
- Does the intro match the one specified in the first post of the project thread (below the Magic Window)?
- Are there any long silences or pauses that ought to be edited out? If so, note the time.
- Are there any stumbles or repeats that ought to be edited out? If so, note the words and the time.
- Is there excessive background noise, a constant hiss or buzz that detracts from the reading?
- Did you need to turn your volume up unusually high to listen to the recording? (Or did you find the recording too loud?)
- Does the ending match the one specified in the first post of the project thread?
- Are there 5 seconds of silence at the end of the file?
New to prooflistening? Please read this FAQ.