One-Minute Test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
seoulsister

Post by seoulsister » May 19th, 2018, 6:17 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_seoulsister.mp3

Audition, Mac, USB

Hey everyone! Hope this works! Quick question: when I'm editing this, the normalize function works in negative db, so normalize to -0.1db, -3db, etc. How does this translate to the librivox standard of 89 db?

--Kate

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » May 19th, 2018, 8:48 pm

Hi Kate!

Welcome to Librivox!

First, I am not able to answer your question. I generally do not use the Normalize function with my recordings. Are you using Audacity for your recordings? You mention Audition - is that MAC software for recording?

Second, there are a couple of technical issues with your recording - they are the following:

- The bit rate should be 128 kbps.
- The sampling rate should be 44.1 kHz (44,100 Hz).
- The recording should be in mono sound, not stereo sound.

Check out the following link to get guidance on how to fix these issues - the good thing is once you have these items set you generally do not have to change them again!

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording

As you are possibly using different recording software I would install this tool to check your recordings before you upload them. This is the software we use to check our recordings prior to sending them to a proof listener.

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker

And lastly, which I think is related to what you asked about, the volume falls outside of the target range (86–92 dB).  Your volume is 96.3 dB which is fairly loud.

In Audacity, you need to go to Effect > Amplify and enter a negative 6 to start to reduce the decibels. Save the recording (with the technical changes also above) and then run it through the Checker tool and see if you pass. If you do pass please send me the file so I can check it out and OK your test file.

If you have any questions please let me know and either myself or someone else will help you!

Lynda

HannahMary

Post by HannahMary » May 22nd, 2018, 6:11 am

seoulsister wrote:
May 19th, 2018, 6:17 pm

Hey everyone! Hope this works! Quick question: when I'm editing this, the normalize function works in negative db, so normalize to -0.1db, -3db, etc. How does this translate to the librivox standard of 89 db?

--Kate
Hi Kate,
I use Audition on my PC , and the only way I have found to check the dB is with the Checker program mentioned in the previous reply. It works great! That also tells you if the other technical specs are right.

Have you found the place in Audition to choose the bit rate and sample rate when you open a new blank file? I'm sure you can also adjust that in the saving process by clicking deeper into options down by the place where you can choose what file type you are saving (mp3...)

I don't have my computer on to give you the exact dialogue box wordings, but if you need more specifics, just ask.

Looking forward to your chapter over at "Clover"!
~ Hannah
Blog: Come, Be Still