One minute test take two-please listen [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
lynn0301

Post by lynn0301 » May 19th, 2018, 10:13 am

"Always look on the bright side of life"-Monty Python

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » May 19th, 2018, 10:41 am

Hi Lynn -

I could not find your original recording so I hope this is not a repeat!

You have a great recording voice - there are just a couple of technical issues that need to be fixed prior to your recording passing and you being able to record for Librivox.

First you need to do a noise cleaning of your recording.
First, you need to highlight your recording - Ctrl - A if you are on a PC
Then, if you are using Audible you need to go to Effect > Noise Reduction.
Now select the first box - Get Noise Profile. It will run through your recording.
Now go back to Noise Reduction and set your numbers to 3, 6.00, 6 and Reduce. Press OK. This will do the noise cleaning. I normally just play around with the first number (3) if I need to do more noise cleaning or less - you will get to know this more that you record.

Next BEFORE YOUR SAVE, there are 2 settings that you need to set while you are saving the file. Once you set these two settings they will remain this way until you change them (which you should not do while reading for Librivox).
First, the recording should use a constant bit rate rather than variable bit rate (VBR). That is a dot you need to select below where you enter the file name and then below that the bit rate should be 128 kbps. That is set in the drop down below where you enter selected the Constant bit rate.

Now save your file as outlined for your test recording.

Next, download this program which is called Checker - this we all use to check our recordings prior to sending them in for review - it tells us if we have passed or not and if we have not, why not. It will help you figure out if you have done the above items correctly or not. I have run your file with the above corrections through the Checker and you have passed so I am hoping you will pass too!

Here is its location - it is VERY simple to install - http://cgjennings.ca/checker/

So please REPLY to this post (POST REPLY at bottom) with your new recording and I will take a listen and let you know how you did!

Lynda

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » May 19th, 2018, 11:49 am

Lynn,
Lmnei wrote:
May 19th, 2018, 10:41 am
First you need to do a noise cleaning of your recording.
First, you need to highlight your recording - Ctrl - A if you are on a PC
Then, if you are using Audible you need to go to Effect > Noise Reduction.
Now select the first box - Get Noise Profile. It will run through your recording.
Now go back to Noise Reduction and set your numbers to 3, 6.00, 6 and Reduce. Press OK. This will do the noise cleaning. I normally just play around with the first number (3) if I need to do more noise cleaning or less - you will get to know this more that you record.
Just to add a slight clarification on the Noise Cleaning technique Lynda explains here. To "Get Noise Profile", please don't select the entire track. You need to select a couple seconds of your track where you don't speak or breathe. On most of LV recordings we leave about 5 seconds of "room noise" at the end -- that is the best source of "noise profile". Select the half a second between time index 25 and time index 25.5, and it should serve as "Noise Profile" nicely. That is, drag your mouse over your track from about 25 seconds to about 25.5 seconds, the click "Effect -> Noise Reduction..." and the "Get Noise Profile" button. And only after that select the entire track to be cleaned: Ctrl + A, Effect, Noise Reduction..., OK.

But in all honesty, aside from some very faint high-pitch whine and the clock ticking, your track has no noise to speak of. The clock is distracting though. Try to record away from it (or stop it for the duration of the recording, if you can). You can find more information on our wiki page on noise cleaning.

Lynda is fully justified to point out the incorrect bitrate you have. :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

lynn0301

Post by lynn0301 » June 22nd, 2018, 10:19 pm

Hey Lmnei, thanks for you tips!

I have just finished cleaning my soundtrack, however I am having trouble with converting my constant bit rate/variable. Can you please show a picture where to find this function?

Again, thanks a lot :D

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » June 22nd, 2018, 10:47 pm

Hi Lynn -

I cannot seem to get a picture into this window for some reason...

It is fairly easy to set them - when you go to Export to MP3 - do you see where you enter the filename?

Just below that you will see a section called Format Options:

The first item in that section is Bit Rate Modes which you need to pick Constant
The second item in that section which is a drop down list you need to select 128 kbps
Also make sure Force export to Mono is checked

Now press Save and they will be all set for the future!

Lynda

lynn0301

Post by lynn0301 » June 24th, 2018, 2:58 pm

Here's my one minute test cleaned up and checker-approved: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/one_minute_test_cleaned.mp3

How is it now?

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » June 24th, 2018, 8:04 pm

Hi Lynne!

You are all ready to go now!

That is an excellent recording!

So go browse the Librivox forums and pick a chapter or two of books you would like to record, sign up and have fun!

Lynda

lynn0301

Post by lynn0301 » June 24th, 2018, 8:26 pm

Thank you very much :D