Hello Everyone! 1 minute test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
DPB052018

Post by DPB052018 » May 18th, 2018, 4:17 pm

I am new to audiobook narration and thought that Librivox is a great place to start! I have over 40 years as a public speaker and current lecturer at a local college. I also have a music performing background so the concept of recording is comfortable to me. Attached is the link to my 1-minute test. I would appreciate any comments/thoughts you might have on my offering.

I am looking forward to feedback and getting started recording!

Have a great day!

Paul Soules

https://librivox.org/uploads/kayray/One_Minute_Recording.mp3

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » May 19th, 2018, 12:29 am

Welcome to Librivox. I've moved you to the listeners wanted so people will find your test easily

Anne

DPB052018

Post by DPB052018 » May 31st, 2018, 12:02 pm

Thank you.

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » May 31st, 2018, 12:05 pm

... and yet I just saw it for the first time... Let me take a listen... I'll update this post after I have something of substance to say.

Edited:

Paul,

Thanks and sorry it took so long for somebody to actually get to it. I am not sure how, but if fell through the cracks, obviously.

Your recording sounds good, you have a nice voice for what we do here. :thumbs:

There is still room for improvement, though.

First of all, your test is a bit soft. Checker measures the volume at 79.1 dB, and we need 89 (or anything between 87 and 91) dB. Please make sure you increase the gain on your microphone, or amplify in post processing. Download and install Checker so you can validate your own recordings (see this wiki page).

Second, you exported the MP3 with too high a bitrate. We need 128 kbps, and yours is 320 kbps. Please export with the correct bitrate once you get volume up.

That's all. A couple steps to go. Once you have it fixed, do please upload it again and post a reply here with a new link.

Again, I am sorry that nobody managed to notice your post earlier. :(
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

DPB052018

Post by DPB052018 » May 31st, 2018, 2:10 pm

No worries. Thanks very much for your comments. I will re-record and upload again as a reply.

Regards,m

Paul