One minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Gary17

Post by Gary17 » May 1st, 2018, 4:41 pm

Hi. My name is Gary. I have just uploaded a one minute test. I used Audacity to record it with a USB microphone. Here is the link to the test file.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_Gary17.mp3

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » May 2nd, 2018, 2:24 am

hello Gary and a warm welcome to our forum :D

thank you for starting out with a one-minute-test, always the best way to get the few initial kinks worked out from the recording and setup.

First of all, your narrative quality is quite nice and very easy on the ear. You articulate well and you don't rush through the text. I personally like this pacing. :9:

A few technical things need to get tweaked a bit though, before I can mark this test as ok. You are using Audacity, this is great, so it will be easy for me to walk you through the corrections.

1) the volume is a bit too loud. We accept anything between 86 and 92 dB, yours is almost 94 dB. To decrease the volume in Audacity, please do the following:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input -5 (don't forget the MINUS-sign !) in the first slot (amplification dB)
> press ok

2) your background noise is a bit too loud as well.

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually we leave some 5 seconds of ambient noise at the end of the recording, so we can get a good sample to work on. You don't have that here, but for our purposes, please use the section between 0:09 and 0:09.05 seconds)
> go to Effect - Noise Cleaning
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Cleaning
> now select OK

3) your bitrate is wrong, we need 128 kbps. These settings get changed while importing to mp3:

> go to File / Export Audio
> open Options in the lower right corner
> select the following settings: Bit Rate Mode: Constant / Quality: 128 kbps / Channel Mode: Joint Stereo
> press Ok

this is all. Could you do these 3 corrections on your old file please (don't re-record, I'd rather you learn editing for future uses ;) ). Then simply reupload and post in this same thread, so I can have a second look.

If there are any questions still, don't hesitate to ask :)

Sonia

Gary17

Post by Gary17 » June 5th, 2018, 4:58 pm

Hi Sonia,

Thank you for your message and feedback.

I have addressed the first and second items you have raised. I am having difficulty with the third item because in Audacity I see a menu item called File, but I do not see under the File menu Export Audio.

Please could you clarify. I appreciate your further assistance.

Gary Horwitz

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » June 5th, 2018, 6:00 pm

Gary,

Which version of Audacity do you have? In mine (2.2.1) in File, right under "Save Project As..." there is the "Export" submenu, in which you'd select "Export as MP3".
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » June 6th, 2018, 12:13 am

Hi Gary

yes, like Tovarisch already said, I have the same submenu under File. :hmm: In any case there must be an Export button somewhere and it would make sense to put it right in the File menu. Maybe it's called differently in another version. Is mp3 nowhere mentioned ? How did you manage to export to mp3 in the first test ?

If you tell us your version, we could ask around in the help forum. Someone is bound to know more about it than I do.

We'll find a way, don't worry.

Sonia

Gary17

Post by Gary17 » June 26th, 2018, 5:16 pm

Kitty,

I have just uploaded the revised file for your review. I look forward to hearing from you. I appreciate your continued time and attention.

Gary Horwitz

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » June 26th, 2018, 5:48 pm

Gary,

And the link that the uploader gave you is...
tovarisch

Gary17

Post by Gary17 » July 3rd, 2018, 4:09 pm

Hi Tovarisch,

Sorry for the omission. I just uploaded the file again and here is the link: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Peter_Pipe_recording_Audacity.mp3.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for your continued efforts.

Sincerely,

Gary

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » July 3rd, 2018, 5:48 pm

Thanks, Gary.

This MP3 file has a variable bitrate, and we need constant bitrate of 128 kbps. There is no need to re-record. Just open the recording (you saved it, I presume) and re-export it with constant bitrate with quality set to 128 kbps. You should find those choices on the export dialog box.

Once you have the MP3 exported with constant bitrate of 128 kbps, please upload it again and post a link in a reply here.

Thanks!
tovarisch

Gary17

Post by Gary17 » July 10th, 2018, 4:27 pm

Dear Tovarisch,

I have corrected the bit rate as per your instructions. It should now be 128kbps. Here is the link to the file https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Peter_Pipe_recording_test_corection_2.mp3

I look forward to your next message.

Sincerely,

Gary

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » July 10th, 2018, 4:41 pm

Gary,

You are all set! :thumbs:

Your test is now technically fully acceptable. You are ready for LibriVox. :clap:

An admin will stop by to mark this thread with an OK, and you can already go to our "Readers Wanted" forums and look for something to read for real.

Happy recording! :)
tovarisch