my one minute test! [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
junerinMJ

Post by junerinMJ » April 26th, 2018, 9:37 pm

MARIA

linny

Post by linny » April 28th, 2018, 10:47 am

Hi Maria,
You sound very far away from your mic. This gives a bit of a muffled sound to your voice and causes the volume to be low while letting in lots of background noise. We can fix both with editing but before we get into that let's check your mic placement.

Check your mic setup and make sure you are picking up your usb microphone and not the computer's built in microphone. Check the input volume setting on the microphone and increase it little by little until your recorded waves are close to the height of 0.5 and -0.5 (in Audacity). Before you record listen to your room. Is there any noise you can hear that you can turn off (fan, refrigerator, etc).

Please record another sample and post in this same thread. If you have questions along the way please post here.

junerinMJ

Post by junerinMJ » May 1st, 2018, 10:17 pm

Before I uploaded this one, I uploaded another one that I forgot to amplify.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_junerinmj.mp3
MARIA

linny

Post by linny » May 2nd, 2018, 6:26 am

No problem at all. If you used the same file name the most current overwrites the prior one. :)

This one sounds much better. Thank you.

The only thing we need to work on now is a little noise cleaning. For the future you could try to reduce any background noise in the recording environment (hum of the refrigerator, etc). Most of us have to do a bit of noise cleaning.

In Audacity highlight a portion of your recording that should be silent (0:23-0:26).
Go to Effect>Noise reduction>Get noise profile.
Now select the entire track
Go to Effect>Noise reduction>(adjust the step 2 settings using preview as an aide - I used 20, 6.00, 6) Select "reduce">OK.

Please post an edited version of your recording in this same thread. Be sure to ask if you have any questions along the way.

Here is a video walking you through the instructions. It's an older version of Audacity but should be close.
Noise cleaning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFSg9o37HMw

junerinMJ

Post by junerinMJ » May 10th, 2018, 8:23 pm

MARIA

linny

Post by linny » May 11th, 2018, 5:32 am

Hello Maria,
That sounds great! PL OK :thumbs:

The volume is on the lower end of the acceptable range so be sure not to go any lower.

I hope you enjoy your time here. I'll see you in the forums. :D

junerinMJ

Post by junerinMJ » May 14th, 2018, 10:35 pm

Thank you! :D
MARIA