[OK]1 minute test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
briannablack64

Post by briannablack64 » April 20th, 2018, 12:56 pm

Hi there! This is my one minute test.. please let me know if it's okay.. Thank you so much!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_briannablack.mp3

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » April 21st, 2018, 8:38 pm

Hi Brianna!

Welcome to Librivox! You have a great recording voice!

There were some technical issues with your recording though. Did you notice the loud humm during the recording? That is a problem. I am not sure what was running where you were recording but it got picked up by the microphone. Sometimes when the washing machine is running at my apartment I cannot record due to the hum that it produces.

So some feedback which you will find more information about in the Newbie Guide to Recording at the top of this forum is as follows -

The bit rate should be 128 kbps. This you fix when you save the file.

The recording should be in mono sound, not stereo sound. This you fix in Audible - it is a setting.

The recording should use a constant bit rate rather than variable bit rate (VBR).  This is also a setting in Audible.

The volume falls outside of the target range (86–92 dB). You were just below the lowest volume at 85.9 dB. We aim for a volume of 89dB. So either speak a bit louder or use the Tools in Audacity such as Amplify under the Effects menu item to increase the volume of your recording.

The audio has a high level of background noise which should be cleaned. Your background noise is 66.8 dB, my recordings range at about 25dB for noise as I do them in a quiet room. There is Noise Reduction under Effect menu in Audacity however this level of noise needs to be dealt with at where you record as this amount of noise cannot be removed without damaging your voice recording.

So there is some feedback - try the 1 minute test again and we will give you some more feedback!

briannablack64

Post by briannablack64 » April 22nd, 2018, 1:21 pm

Thank you so much for your feedback. I really do appreciate it and every little thing helps.. and yes I did notice the hum and i think the culprit is the cpu as my mic is set up near it.. so i will definitely follow your instructions and re-submit my 1 minute test... Thank you so much once again for taking the time to reply and help me out.. Have a great one!

briannablack64

Post by briannablack64 » April 24th, 2018, 3:07 pm

Hi there! I hope this is of better quality than the first? please let me know if there's anything else I can do to make it better.. thank you so much for your time and your feedback.. I really do appreciate it.. Have a good one!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test2_briannablack.mp3

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » April 24th, 2018, 3:36 pm

Hi Brianna -

Thanks so much for doing a second recording!

From a technical standpoint there are still some items that the Checker Tool is pointing out -

The bit rate should be 128 kbps - this you need to set within Audible.

The recording should use a constant bit rate rather than variable bit rate (VBR) - again you set this within Audible too.

As for the recording, while the Checker did not say it was abnormally high - there is still a bunch of hissing noise that drowns out your voice. We like to hear more of your voice and less background noise. :)

What kind of microphone are you using? Is it a lapel microphone? Perhaps you can try placing it in front of you on the computer instead? You are getting some s's with some hisses also.

This was definitely an improvement on your last recording - you are getting there! If you can tell me a bit about your recording environment perhaps I can help you with more specific things so that your voice can be heard more clearly.

Lynda

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » May 3rd, 2018, 4:57 pm

Hi Victoria -

Just checking in with you that you got my Message...

Lynda

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » May 12th, 2018, 11:44 am

Hi Victoria -

Please post your latest recording here so that I can mark it ready for you to record.

Lynda

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » May 12th, 2018, 7:43 pm

Here is Victoria's latest 1 minute test -

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_briannablack.mp3

It passes all tests and she is read to start recording!

Lynda

briannablack64

Post by briannablack64 » May 13th, 2018, 5:07 pm

Hi Lynda! How are you? Yes, i saw your message and followed your instructions. I posted my 1 minute test yesterday and somehow it's the one dated April 20th... How that happened and why I have no idea!!! :shock: I'm so sorry to have caused any problems and at the same time thank you for approving it!! :9: Thank you once again Lynda!!! Have a good one!