1 minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
1Kat

Post by 1Kat » January 13th, 2018, 10:57 am

I just made a one-minute test (much shorted than a minute, but I've read that is normal). Please listen and please note that I have been getting over a cold.
Thanks.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_1kat.mp3

moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » January 13th, 2018, 11:18 am

Hi 1Kat,

welcome at LibriVox. :) Nice reading :clap:

Now, let's see

- recording is in mono, samplerate 44100 Hz, that is fine. :thumbs:

Bitrate is at 137; LibriVox requires 128 kbps with a constant bitrate

Volume is just a tiny bit outside the range. That is due to the high peaks at 10:40 sec and 17:30 sec. As I noticed some distortion on your voice, but didn't discover any noise, I think it is best if you please provide the unedited file as mp3 here in this thread again to see what we can do. I need to ask for a new file because of the bitrate anyways, so we can as well deal with the sound - it is such a pity, your voice deserves better than what I hear right now :)

The bitrate, if you use Audacity, can be changed on exporting:

You're close, keep on going :)

1Kat

Post by 1Kat » January 13th, 2018, 11:41 am

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_1kat.mp3
This is actually a new recording since I forgot to keep the unedited one, but I think it stays more in range anyway. Thanks for showing me how to change the bit rate.

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » January 13th, 2018, 12:05 pm

Thanks for the new test, 1Kat. It passes technical scrutiny, but just barely because its volume is at the very low end of our newly expanded range. Checker measures 86.1 dB. The target value is 89 dB, so please watch your volume for all your future recordings.

Now, as far as the audio itself, I'd recommend moving the microphone slightly so that you don't speak directly into it. Now you have some plosives and not only on 'p' sounds, but also on 'th'. It happens because the air expelled from your mouth hits the microphone capsule. It is possible to make those sounds without moving the air much, and you may eventually develop that technique. For now speaking past the microphone will essentially accomplish the same goal.

The trick is to point your mic at your mouth, but not your mouth at your mic. If you increase the distance between the mic and your lips, make sure to add gain (or amplify in post-processing).

If you want to try another take, you're most welcome. If you want to work on it in the mean time, the admin would still be justified to mark this thread with an OK -- your test is, after all, acceptable.

Up to you.

Happy recording!
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » January 13th, 2018, 12:17 pm

toravisch was faster, he came to the same conclusion (rest of my post I deleted - was the same as tovarisch says):

For LibriVox, the test can be marked as ok as I can clearly understand you, volume is just on the border and tech specs else are just fine.

:)

Just curious - do you use a noise cancelling microphone?

1Kat

Post by 1Kat » January 13th, 2018, 12:53 pm

Thank you both. I will move the microphone further away and will increase the volume a little on my recordings. I don't know what kind of microphone I have. It was in a box with a software my family doesn't use. It is a headset with one ear piece and an adjustable mouthpiece.

1Kat

Post by 1Kat » January 13th, 2018, 1:11 pm

moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » January 13th, 2018, 1:30 pm

Ok, with that headset it probably won't get to much better than version2. And yes, this version is a bit better regarding distortion, now there is a bit of noise - it's kind of like choosing between Scilla and Charybdis .

I noted that you tend to read very dynamic, which is completely fine for me :thumbs: It only makes getting the right volume more difficult. I'll just do some pictures and be back to help you deal with that :)

Now, back here :)
If you look at your file, there is a heavy peak in the end and one at about 15 sec:
not yet amplified
amplified; there might at one point happen that a recording shows the red line (that means clipping and distorts the voice additionally to the distortion of the headset) and you still do not reach the 86 dB which are at least required. If hat happens, you can either amplify those peaks with about -5 or -10 dB (depending on the recording, just play around) before amplifying the whole recording according to ReplayGain or you can use compressor, under Effects -> Compressor:
Backdraft is that noise get's a bit worse on that. compressed your file with the values given in the picture and then did the noise-removal tool (effects -> noise removal, two steps - first select a tiny bit noise only and do in the noise removal tool "get noise profile", then mark the whole recording and do the noise removal again)
I did it once with the values of the picture; that removed enough without distorting your voice further.

The recordings do work for LibriVox, just watch the volume :).

If you really get the hang on recording, you might perhaps consider to buy a better microphone in the future to have more fun, but that's totally up to you.
Last edited by moniaqua on January 13th, 2018, 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » January 13th, 2018, 1:36 pm

While Monika was getting her pictures...

Your new test has better audio (no plosives to speak of). However, I noticed new, rather small, problems.

First off, if it's a headset and the microphone is adjustable, perhaps you can simply move it a bit up or down (don't put it under your nose tho, or it will catch your breath too :wink: ). The gain/volume adjustment you made, is not enough. The new track is too quiet. It needs amplification by about 12 dB, but it would clip around 22 seconds if you try amplifying by that much. So, amplifying it by 10, then amplifying around that spike by -3 (or so; yes, you can put negative there as well) and then amplifying the entire track again by 2 should get you in range... However, the audio is now have a strange echo-y sound (not sure why this is). Is it possible that your microphone/headset has the driver that has "voice activated recording" or "auto-gain control"?

Also, Monika asked you if your mic was noise-canceling:
moniaqua wrote:
January 13th, 2018, 12:17 pm
Just curious - do you use a noise cancelling microphone?
Do you have an answer?

Try to turn off all automation provided by the driver and rely on getting the sound right in Audacity, by using correct settings during recording and in post-processing.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions that Monika's or my suggestions might evoke.
Last edited by tovarisch on January 13th, 2018, 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » January 13th, 2018, 2:05 pm

tovarisch wrote:
January 13th, 2018, 1:36 pm
Now for Monika's promised pictures...
heading in ;)
And yes, that voice-activating can be nasty, too, thank you for thinking on that one :)

1Kat

Post by 1Kat » January 13th, 2018, 3:19 pm

I don't know if I have a magic microphone or not. I just know that it records stuff. I'll work on amplifying as I move forward and will let you know if I have questions. Thanks.

moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » January 14th, 2018, 2:16 am

Hi 1Kat,

that's ok, find interesting books and have fun recording :) Thank you for helping at LibriVox. :)