One Minute Test Uploaded

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
alyb87

Post by alyb87 » January 12th, 2018, 4:11 pm

Hi everyone,

I've just signed up to Librivox and have created my One Minute Test - see link below.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_alyb87.mp3

I'm using Audacity on a MacBook Air, with a USB microphone. I checked my settings as recommended but I think it still sounds a little quiet. This is a raw file with no effects added (I tried using the noise reduction / compressor effects but they made the sound louder than the recommended range). Would welcome feedback / comments on how I could address this.

Thanks all

Alistair

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » January 12th, 2018, 7:30 pm

Hello Alistair,

Welcome to LibriVox! Good to have you with us.

Thank you for the test. Almost all about it is good. Only one parameter needs your attention - the volume.

We use "ReplayGain" method of estimating the playback volume. You can use the Checker software (search our Wiki for it) or a ReplayGain plug-in for Audacity to figure out how far your track is from the ideal LibriVox volume level. For your test Checker reports 75.5 dB, which is about 14 dB lower than our target value, 89 dB. You need to amplify your track by that much and then re-export and re-upload. Also, consider increasing gain (if possible) for your mic for the future recordings. There is a slider you can move to the right (if there is any room left). Experiment with that. If you can't find a good level to keep, stick with checking and amplifying for every recording in post-processing.

Also I noticed some background noise. You can easily reduce it, see our Wiki for "Noise cleaning", it's relatively simple. Yours is not bad, it is just there and can be taken down a few notches in post-processing. I do recommend at least one pass.

So, please make sure the file has the volume in the range of 87-91 dB, according to Checker. The other settings are perfect!

When you have re-uploaded the new file (you can use the same file name), post with another link in this thread (as a reply), and somebody will check again.

Again, welcome to the fold! :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » January 13th, 2018, 9:58 am

tovarisch wrote:
January 12th, 2018, 7:30 pm
Also I noticed some background noise. You can easily reduce it, see our Wiki for "Noise cleaning", it's relatively simple. Yours is not bad, it is just there and can be taken down a few notches in post-processing. I do recommend at least one pass.
Here's a direct link: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noisecleaning_With_Pics

;)
Original journals on the Exploration of the Mississippi: Here
Fiction, partly about jail atrocities: It Is Never too Late
Watergate Report, volume 2: Here