1 Minute Test, appreciate feedback [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
RhiannonD

Post by RhiannonD » January 12th, 2018, 2:52 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_rhiannond.mp3

I am using my Macbook air, Blue Yeti USB mic, and Audacity. I did this inside my tiny closet so as to minimize outside noise. Feedback is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » January 12th, 2018, 3:27 pm

Hi Rihannon,

wonderful clear reading :thumbs:

Regarding the tech specs:

- The recording is in mono, that is fine
- Sample rate is at 44100 Hz how it should be
- file is mp3, as it is supposed to be

- bitrate is 127 kbps; LibriVox requires 128 kbps at a constant bitrate
you can change that on export:
It maybe looks a bit different if you use a different version of Audacity, but you'll find the options there, too.

Only the volume is way too low. I had, according to Replay Gain, to amplify 13.4 dB in order to get to the 89 dB required by LibriVox (there is a range from 87 dB to 91 dB). You can either amplify it after recording or, in most cases better, look if you can slide the input volume up (you can do it from Audacity:
Image)

As I heard some noise and suspect that it might be a road, in this case it might perhaps be better to leave the input volume a bit low and amplify on editing.

The noise is not that bad, you can wipe it out with the noise reducing tool from Audacity if you desire - two steps, first get noise profile on a small sample, then do one or two wipes with the whole recording selected:
I did two wipes with 6 dB instead of 10 dB Noice reducing

Can you please edit and upload the new version of your file that we see you get the bitrate and volume right and post the link here in this thread again? Thank you :)

MagicMan

Post by MagicMan » January 12th, 2018, 8:12 pm

Hello and WELCOME! Recording in a closet is great. It shows in your audio and I could tell instantly. I have some videos in my signature that may help you out as far as setting up Audacity to meet the LibriVox requirements. This is the process.

1. Record in your closet.

2. Use ReplayGain to check the volume.

3. Go to effects, audacity, equalization, eq type = draw and select low roll off for speech.

4. Apply noise reduction.

5. Recheck volume using ReplayGain and adjust if needed.

6. Export file.

I used this same process on your file using one pass with default settings using Audacity's noise reduction tool. This is what you audio will sound like if you follow the procedure as I have outlined above. https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_rhiannond-lro-nr.mp3

RhiannonD

Post by RhiannonD » January 13th, 2018, 12:32 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_rhiannond2.mp3

Thank you so much for the info! I applied noise reduction, amplified, and checked output with ReplayGain. Also made sure to export mp3 with the 128kbps. I hope I did this all correctly, I tried to follow the instructions posted to a T. Appreciate the feedback!

moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » January 13th, 2018, 12:40 pm

Wonderful! :clap:

The test can be marked as ok