[OK]Test sample for feedback

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
ADKreader1122

Post by ADKreader1122 » January 9th, 2018, 3:54 pm

This was recorded with Audacity on a MacBook Air with a USB mic. Thank you!

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » January 9th, 2018, 4:09 pm

We need the link, please. ;)
Original journals on the Exploration of the Mississippi: Here
Fiction, partly about jail atrocities: It Is Never too Late
Watergate Report, volume 2: Here

MagicMan

Post by MagicMan » January 9th, 2018, 4:13 pm

If you could, also provide the name of the mic you are using. This will help as far as your request for feedback. :D

ADKreader1122

Post by ADKreader1122 » January 9th, 2018, 4:30 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_adkreader1122.mp3

Here is the link I omitted before--sorry about that! The name of the USB mic is Fifine.

MagicMan

Post by MagicMan » January 9th, 2018, 9:46 pm

Good evening. You have a grate voice. Your audio is just a tad low. It needs to be between a 86 and 92dbs. You also need to export in a constant bit rate and your recording is variable bit rate. I don't know what software you use but if it is Audacity, I have a link in my signature that will show you how to set up Audacity to meet these requirements. If you would please raise your volume and change your bit rate, then resubmit another test.

ADKreader1122

Post by ADKreader1122 » January 10th, 2018, 5:38 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_adkreader1122#2.mp3

Hello and thanks for the feedback. Here is the second sample. I've taken a look at your videos--very helpful--and hope the changes made will be acceptable.
Do you know if there are Mac specific instructions/videos for Audacity and how it relates to Librivox?

MagicMan

Post by MagicMan » January 10th, 2018, 5:52 pm

I am so sorry, I know nothing about macs. Your volume is still to low, you need to raise it at least 2dbs and your bit rate is still variable and not constant. At this time I will ask any member who uses a mac to intervene. Again, I apologize but I promise you this, you are so close, it will only be a matter of making some small adjustments. I will forward this post to a moderator to speed up this process. In the meantime, please start looking for a project to get involved in. Your voice is amazing.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » January 10th, 2018, 6:01 pm

I don't have a Mac, either, and the wiki doesn't have specific directions for a Mac using Audacity. I'll throw out an SOS post to see if anyone who uses a Mac can come over here and help. :)
Original journals on the Exploration of the Mississippi: Here
Fiction, partly about jail atrocities: It Is Never too Late
Watergate Report, volume 2: Here

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » January 10th, 2018, 7:21 pm

ADKreader1122 wrote:
January 10th, 2018, 5:38 pm
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_adkreader1122#2.mp3

Hello and thanks for the feedback. Here is the second sample. I've taken a look at your videos--very helpful--and hope the changes made will be acceptable.
Do you know if there are Mac specific instructions/videos for Audacity and how it relates to Librivox?
Hi Laura,

You've gone a long way already, so just a couple small steps left. First, you need to de-amplify your entire track by about 3 db. Open your file (I suppose you did save it), and then select all (Command+A), then in the menu go to 'Effect', Amplify, and move the slider to the left so the 'Amplification' shows about -3. Then click OK. Then do 'File', 'Export', 'Export As MP3' (just like you did before), but then hold a bit, and look at the window.

You have a darker area of the window. It's titled 'Format Options'. The first setting there is called "Bit Rate Mode". Select 'Constant' (the last one). Then in Quality choose 128 kbps. Variable Speed will be greyed out. Channel mode leave as is, it's good.

Then click 'Save'.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

ADKreader1122

Post by ADKreader1122 » January 11th, 2018, 6:44 pm

Here is the link to the new file--#3--after reading everyone's feedback.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_adkreader1122#3.mp3

I used MP3 Gain to check the specs on this file; the volume is 91.08 dB.
When exporting the file, I specifically chose Constant and 128 as the settings.
There does not seem to be much else I can do. Thank you for your support.

MagicMan

Post by MagicMan » January 12th, 2018, 1:40 am

Good morning Laura. You did great fixing everything except your volume. It is real easy and this is the math behind it. LibriVox needs between a 86dbs to a 92dbs. When you ran MP3Gain, it told you your audio was 91.08dbs. When I checked your last test, Audacity said it needed to be reduced by 3.5dbs. This would have made your audio at 92.5dbs. It could just be a matter of having it checked by two different systems. So this is how it works.

Just remember that 89dbs is the main number. MP3Gain says 91.08. Take 91.08 and subtract 89. This equals 2.08. Since 92.08 is high then 89, we need to subtract. Open Audacity, go to effects, then to Audacity, then to Amplify. You will see a window highlighted. Type in -2.08 and click OK. That's it, you are done. This is the same process you will use as long as you record for LibriVox.

Please try this with your last file and resubmit it. Once you see what I am talking about, it will become second nature! :thumbs:

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » January 12th, 2018, 2:01 am

Hi Laura
Your volume's in the range , that's all we ask . So I'll mark it OK and you can go and hunt for something that appeals in any of the Readers wanted forums. I'd suggest something reasonably short first up - 70 minute old English can be a trifle daunting first up.When you've seen something that appeals , read the first post and post your request . Someone there is waiting for you to help get another project finished.
And do remember - this is fun :D
Our objective is to make all books in the public domain available, for free, in audio format on the internet. - Hugh McGuire.

ADKreader1122

Post by ADKreader1122 » January 12th, 2018, 10:03 am

Hi--I just wanted to say a huge thank you to all who have helped me through the sample test process. I do know it's fun and am looking forward to selecting a short project. In regard to MagicMan's last recommendation, I've included this last link to the revised file, only doing exactly what he mentioned....just in case that tweak was good to do for the future. All best wishes, Lora

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_adkreader1122#3.mp3

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » January 12th, 2018, 10:10 am

Sorry for introducing the wrong spelling of your name into the thread, Lora. My bad. :oops:
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please