1 minute test Anders Slot Soerensen

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
AndersSlotSoerensen

Post by AndersSlotSoerensen » January 9th, 2018, 2:10 am

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1_minute_recording_test_anders_slot_soerensen1.mp3

This is my 1-minute test

I am using:

Reaper (DAW)
Recording through an analog NT1-a condenser microphone
Operating system - Windows 64 bit

MagicMan

Post by MagicMan » January 9th, 2018, 2:19 am

All your specs are fine except your volume. It needs to be raise 12 dbs and that will make your audio clip. I have some short videos in my signature that will show you how to do this if you have access to Audacity. After your raise your output level that is between a 87 to 92dbs, please resubmit your test back on this thread. I am a Reaper user also. This video shows how you do it in Reaper.

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet » January 9th, 2018, 10:46 am

Copied/continued from project thread:

While what he says is not wrong per se, if you follow his advice, you will be getting a higher standard than we require at LV (he is trying to get you to professional standard... we ask for 'good enough' )
So... he is right in that your file is too quiet. It registers at 77dB. Our target is 89dB, but we accept 86-92. I played with your test and amplified the maximum I could without clipping and got 87dB... within our range. So the rest of the info given by MagicMan is superfluous.

The best way to avoid this issue in future is to adjust your input settings. That said, amplifying a recording a certain amount is OK... its just if you over-process, it becomes distorted. To be honest, it takes quite a bit of 'messing around' to distort most files so the average listener can tell the difference.

Try playing with your input settings and re-record... much better to do this on a less-than-one-minute recording than a whole chapter :wink:
I may not be around much this week Jan. 14-22 due to a death in the family.

Help us finish:

Pantropheon 8 sections remaining

Flower Patch Among The Hills 1 section remaining

MagicMan

Post by MagicMan » January 9th, 2018, 11:25 am

Lynnet wrote:
January 9th, 2018, 10:46 am
Copied/continued from project thread:

While what he says is not wrong per se, if you follow his advice, you will be getting a higher standard than we require at LV (he is trying to get you to professional standard... we ask for 'good enough' )
So... he is right in that your file is too quiet. It registers at 77dB. Our target is 89dB, but we accept 86-92. I played with your test and amplified the maximum I could without clipping and got 87dB... within our range. So the rest of the info given by MagicMan is superfluous.

The best way to avoid this issue in future is to adjust your input settings. That said, amplifying a recording a certain amount is OK... its just if you over-process, it becomes distorted. To be honest, it takes quite a bit of 'messing around' to distort most files so the average listener can tell the difference.

Try playing with your input settings and re-record... much better to do this on a less-than-one-minute recording than a whole chapter :wink:
As I have yet to find anything in writing concerning the 86 to 92 db range, I simply go off of what other admins/members say when they do this test reviews for first timers. The majority state between a 87 and 92db range with 89dbs being the target. As far as being superfluous, I am a firm believer that it takes just as much effort to do it the right way, as it does to do the wrong way and I consider your comment rude and I will report it as such. From this point forward I will make sure my advice is given for the range of 86 to 92dbs as being the range for LibriVox. I have no desire to change your standards! :thumbs:

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » January 9th, 2018, 6:07 pm

MagicMan,

I have closed your report.

Somebody disagreeing with you does not constitute "rude".

Please stop this kind of personal attacks.
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

MagicMan

Post by MagicMan » January 9th, 2018, 9:53 pm

Availle wrote:
January 9th, 2018, 6:07 pm
MagicMan,

I have closed your report.

Somebody disagreeing with you does not constitute "rude".

Please stop this kind of personal attacks.
I simply did what I was instructed to do by the moderator staff at Librivox. I have made no personal attack on this member whatsoever. And just for the record, what is the loudness range for LibriVox?