1 Minute Test from a Newbie [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
bradbeadlesr

Post by bradbeadlesr » December 31st, 2017, 9:41 pm

User Name: bradbeadlesr
***@***.com [removed by admin to keep out of the hands of spambots]
Brad Beadle

1 Minute Test from a New Newbie. I’m really looking forward to working with the LibriVox team.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test ... adlesr.mp3

Recording Software: Audacity
Operation System: Windows
Recording Microphone: 3-USB Audio CODEC
Playback: Logitech USB Headphone
Channel: 1 Mono
Host: MME
Default Sample Rate: 44100
Default Sample Format: 16 Bits
Export: MP3

My son discovered LibriVox while he was looking for a certain audio book. He knew that I truly loved storytelling and felt that LibriVox might be a good fit. I have spent much of my life writing and narrating short stories to entertain my family and friends.

Learning How to professionally narrate audible books is something that I want to do. Thank you, for the opportunity to volunteer for LibriVox.

I absolutely love telling stories. I am a published author; writing articles for The World of English Magazine for almost two years. The magazine was used by teachers in Poland and other European countries, to teach their students English.

Nine years ago, I retired from the financial services industry where I spent 19 years creating and presenting seminars to perspective clients.

Brad Beadle
***@***.com
bradbeadlesr

MagicMan

Post by MagicMan » December 31st, 2017, 10:24 pm

Hello and welcome! LibriVox has a loudness range between 87dbs and 92dbs. Your file was at 83dbs. You need to add 6dbs to your audio and resubmit it back to this thread. You can use the same file name if you like. What mic are you using? I do not understand "3-USB". You can watch this video to see how to do this. You can scrub to 3 min 50 sec to get to that part.

If you need any help on your quest for the audio book side, do not hesitate to contact me. Happy New Year!

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » January 2nd, 2018, 6:47 am

Welcome, Brad!

Also, in addition to the volume thing (bump up your mic slider about one notch, if you can - that should get you near the right volume level), your bit rate is variable; it needs to be 128 constant.

This is set when you export to MP3. When you go to export, on the screen where you enter the file name for the MP3, change the Bit Rate mode to Constant, and the quality to 128 kbps. You should only have to set it once; it'll remember the setting until you change it again. :)
Original journals on the Exploration of the Mississippi: Here
Fiction, partly about jail atrocities: It Is Never too Late
Watergate Report, volume 2: Here

MagicMan

Post by MagicMan » January 2nd, 2018, 7:53 am

TriciaG wrote:your bit rate is variable; it needs to be 128 constant.
Thank you for catching that!

bradbeadlesr

Post by bradbeadlesr » January 3rd, 2018, 7:47 pm

1 minute test by a newbie

Recorded new 1 minute test with the recommended changes. Thanks for all your help

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test ... adlesr.mp3

[email removed by admin]
bradbeadlesr

Recording Software: Audacity: Version 2.2.1
Operation System: Windows 10
Recording Microphone: USB BM 800
Playback: Logitech USB Headphone
Channel: 1 Mono
Host: MME
Default Sample Rate: 44100
Default Sample Format: 16 Bits
Export: MP3
Export Bitrate: 128
Constant

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » January 4th, 2018, 6:04 am

Hello Brad,

Your new test is all good. :thumbs:

Next time please use "post reply" button in the same thread instead of "new topic". Also, do avoid posting e-mail addresses - they are spambot magnets.

You are ready for LibriVox. An admin will come by, merge the two threads (I hope) and mark the merged thread with an OK. You can already go to our "Readers Wanted" forums and pick a group project to join.

Happy recording! :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please