new laptop, new 1-minute test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle » January 3rd, 2018, 3:39 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1-minute-test-AC.mp3
hopefully the dog's snoring didn't make it into the recording too terribly much....

I'm excited to be learning Audacity properly after all this time hacking GarageBand to suit LV processes.
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » January 3rd, 2018, 6:24 pm

Hi Amelia,

All is good except the volume. Checker measures it at 94.6 dB, and we need 89 dB (and I am sure you knew that). So, move that slider to the left a couple notches for future recordings, and de-amplify this one by 5.6 and re-export. After that re-upload for another verification, and you'll likely be OK.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle » January 8th, 2018, 3:31 pm

de-amplified:
(I have never before had to de-amplify something-- usually I'm way too quiet, so this was new and exciting!)

I also tried one more test with my headset mic. from another recording I did with it, the headset seems to record quieter overall, so I preemptively amplified this one. https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1-minute-test-AC-headset.mp3

I keep hemming and hawing if the headset mic is worth using-- it gets a much nicer, clearer sound, but picks up more mouthnoise. any test-listeners have thoughts/advice for me on that trade-off?
plaidsicle.blogspot.com

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » January 8th, 2018, 5:05 pm

plaidsicle wrote:
January 8th, 2018, 3:31 pm
de-amplified:
(I have never before had to de-amplify something-- usually I'm way too quiet, so this was new and exciting!)
Hello Amelia,

This one is in the range. I suppose nothing else about it is different, so it's OK.
plaidsicle wrote:
I also tried one more test with my headset mic. from another recording I did with it, the headset seems to record quieter overall, so I preemptively amplified this one. https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1-minute-test-AC-headset.mp3

I keep hemming and hawing if the headset mic is worth using-- it gets a much nicer, clearer sound, but picks up more mouthnoise. any test-listeners have thoughts/advice for me on that trade-off?
The second one is too quiet AFA LibriVox is concerned; needs to be amplified by about 5 dB.

Don't you have Checker? Do download and run your files before uploading. It will save you the problem of guessing how much to amplify. There is a sticky at the top of this page, something like "You can check your own technical stuff" or some such...
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

MagicMan

Post by MagicMan » January 8th, 2018, 6:33 pm

plaidsicle wrote:
Good evening. If the headset has a movable mic boom, try moving it up towards your eyes just a little, while speaking with a towel or pillow behind your Lap Top. You can also take a wool sock and cut a thin strip and wrap it around the boom mic to act as a wind screen/p filter. This will help with the p pops. As far as listening pleasure between your two samples, it would be the one without the headset. If you can rid yourself of the mouth clicks, it would be the boom mic. :wink:

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » January 8th, 2018, 6:42 pm

re headsets - many readers use them with variable results. One problem can occur if you move about a lot is that wires can become loose and affect the quality
As to 'plosives , I was given a hint which works. Hold a finger in front of your mouth and start saying PPPPP so you feel the air, then move your finger slowly till you don't feel it , that's a good place for the microphone, still pointing at your mouth but outside the breath path.

Anne
Our objective is to make all books in the public domain available, for free, in audio format on the internet. - Hugh McGuire.

plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle » January 10th, 2018, 11:09 am

thanks all. I will keep experimenting.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com