1 Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
pcha

Post by pcha » January 1st, 2018, 10:34 pm

Greetings all! Happy to join the LibriVox community. Here is my 1 minute test. (Please pardon the stuffy nose. Felt a bit under the weather whilst recording.)

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_pcha.mp3

I used Audacity to record with my Blue Snowball USB mic. Please feel free to let me know what can be fixed!

Thanks and happy new year,
Pris
Last edited by pcha on January 2nd, 2018, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MagicMan

Post by MagicMan » January 1st, 2018, 11:04 pm

Welcome! All your specs are fine except your audio volume. It needs to be between 87dbs and 92dbs. You need to amplify your audio by 12.5dbs and then resubmit your test back into this thread. Open your audio file in Audacity, go to effects, then to amplify. Type 12.5 in the "Amplification (db) field" and click OK. If you have any questions, just ask. Happy New Year.

pcha

Post by pcha » January 2nd, 2018, 7:37 pm

Hi MagicMan! Thanks for your quick response. Here is the amplified test:

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_pcha.mp3

Thank you!

MagicMan

Post by MagicMan » January 2nd, 2018, 7:58 pm

Ya nailed it! Your noise floor is lower then -50dbs and that is GREAT! Your test can be marked OK and you can head to the follow forums and jump in if you like. :thumbs:
Last edited by MagicMan on January 3rd, 2018, 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZechariahRaman

Post by ZechariahRaman » January 3rd, 2018, 12:40 am

Hello,
Sorry for posting in someone else's 1 minute test; but what is noise floor? How did you measure it?

MagicMan

Post by MagicMan » January 3rd, 2018, 1:12 am

ZechariahRaman wrote:Hello,
Sorry for posting in someone else's 1 minute test; but what is noise floor? How did you measure it?
No need for apologies, I am a firm believer that anyone, should be able to post anywhere, concerning questions or advice. The noise floor, (NF) is made up of several issues and there are way to many to put in this post. Just think about these five main components.

1. If you can hear it, so can your mic, sometimes your mic can hear it when you cant. This gets added to the NF.
2. Every household that has electrical power running into it, has electrical drops and spikes. This will be added to the NF. If you live close to high voltage power lines, you mic can pick the volt leakage out and this gets added to your NF.
3. Every piece of electronic equipment creates its own hum at certain frequencies. This gets added to your NF. Add in bad cables, cheap mics, outdated sound cards, etc and the list goes on for ever.
4. The path your computer uses to get the signal to the software, either USB or 1/8" input jacks, have their own background noise built in. This gets added to your NF. If you have a cheap sound card, as mentioned above, this gets added as well and most of the time spells death for your recording. Most DAWs, USB mixers and Audio Interfaces use the ISIO file which bypasses the whole sound card system. It sends the signal from the mic straight into the recording software.
5. Now, add all that up and combine it with your background noise, and this is now referred to as your noise floor.

I use a Craftsman 25 foot tape to measure them. OK, it is 3am here and I am just being silly. I have several audio meters and stand alone programs that will measure the NF. Audacity has a way as well. I am doing a video on it now. Well, actually I am doing a video on how to create a FX chain that will meet the requirements for submitting your audio to LibriVox, using two keyboard strokes and one mouse click. It will also show you what your NF is. If you would like, I will send you a link when I am finished in about a hr or 2.