1-minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
poyson

Post by poyson » January 1st, 2018, 1:50 pm

Hi there! :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_poyson.mp3

I am using a Logitech bluetooth headset. I am thinking of buying a USB desktop microphone though if this isn't good enough. (At the moment, it's a toss-up between a Samson Meteor, Blue Snowball iCE or Blue Snowball multi-pattern...)

I don't think this recording will pass the LibriVox standards yet, but I wanted someone to hear the unedited version, so they know what I'm working with. :)

Thoughts:
- breathing sounds
- noise
- not sure if the audio is loud enough - my input volume on Audacity is already at 1.0, so the solution might be to use Amplify or buy a new mic. I did one test where I tried to speak louder, but because I'm using a headset, the plosives came out more.

I look forward to your feedback. :) Thank you and Happy New Year!!!!

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » January 1st, 2018, 2:40 pm

Welcome, Patricia, from a Tricia! 8-)

The sound quality isn't spectacular, but it's acceptable for LibriVox. However, you'll probably be happier with your recordings in the future if you got something better. I started with a cheap headset mic and graduated to a better mic a year or two later. I cringe when I listen to my earlier recordings and wish I had upgraded my mic sooner! But that said, the cheapie in me says to do a few recordings with this mic and determine if recording is your "thing". It'd be a shame to buy a decent mic only to stop using it in a month or two. :)

- Volume is OK. You're at 87.5, and we aim for about 86/87 to 92 or so. So you're on the low side of OK. Keep it where it is and don't try to speak louder (you'll unconsciously stop doing that anyway during a long recording, not to say wearing out your voice). You should be fine. If you want to amplify by about 1.5 dB, feel free, but it's not required.

- Breathing: I didn't hear anything too loud. Some breathing is normal - I mean, it's natural to breathe. :lol: Many listeners have said that NO breathing sounds in a recording makes them edgy, and makes the person sound robotic. You don't sound like an asthmatic rhinoceros, so you're okay.

- Noise: What noise? :P I didn't hear any, and it measures very low.

So yeah - you're cleared for recording, and feel free to upgrade your mic if and when you choose. 8-)
Original journals on the Exploration of the Mississippi: Here
Fiction, partly about jail atrocities: It Is Never too Late
Watergate Report, volume 2: Here

MagicMan

Post by MagicMan » January 1st, 2018, 10:52 pm

poyson wrote:Hi there! :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_poyson.mp3

I am using a Logitech bluetooth headset. I am thinking of buying a USB desktop microphone though if this isn't good enough. (At the moment, it's a toss-up between a Samson Meteor, Blue Snowball iCE or Blue Snowball multi-pattern...)
You may want to consider the ATR 2100. It is a dynamic mic that will work via USB as well as XLR and cost around $65.00 US. The XLR is used for connecting to an audio interface or mixing board if you ever decide to upgrade your recording system in the future. It will eliminate 90% of any background noise you may have now or in the future.
I don't think this recording will pass the LibriVox standards yet, but I wanted someone to hear the unedited version, so they know what I'm working with. :)

Thoughts:
- breathing sounds
- noise
- not sure if the audio is loud enough - my input volume on Audacity is already at 1.0, so the solution might be to use Amplify or buy a new mic. I did one test where I tried to speak louder, but because I'm using a headset, the plosives came out more.
Your breathing is very except able. As mentioned above, sterile recordings can sound artificial and be boring to listen to. Your noise floor is around a -74dbs. That is INCREDIBLE! Very well done. I checked your loudness using Replaygain in Audacity as well as a stand alone program called MP3Gain. They both showed 87.3dbs.
I look forward to your feedback. :) Thank you and Happy New Year!!!!
Happy New Year to you as well and on a scale from 1 to 10 with one being the best, I give your audio file as well as your voice a 100 to the inth degree. Ya sounded GREAT!

poyson

Post by poyson » January 6th, 2018, 8:40 pm

Thank you to both of you!

I actually ended up buying a Blue Snowball because it was slightly discounted, and I noticed a few people use it for recording... I'm not sure if we have the ATR 2100 in New Zealand haha. And whoops I didn't see your message until I'd already bought the Snowball, MagicMan!

Looking forward to recording. :)

MagicMan

Post by MagicMan » January 7th, 2018, 2:07 am

:hmm: , New Zealand and Snowballs, I think I see now. LOL. If you can, try making a few test recordings with mic placement. I know a few casters that set theirs up in a closet when recording, and they sound very good. Just remember, if you can hear it, the snowball will to. Have fun!!

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » January 7th, 2018, 6:41 am

Cool! 8-)

Some of the settings will change a bit with a new mic (volume, especially, and you may end up with more plosives if your mouth is in a bad place in relation to the mic). If you're confident you can get the tech settings right with this mic, then great. Or you can upload another test here just to get another set of eyes and ears on it. :)
Original journals on the Exploration of the Mississippi: Here
Fiction, partly about jail atrocities: It Is Never too Late
Watergate Report, volume 2: Here