Followup to request to listen to test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
hbeuph

Post by hbeuph » December 31st, 2017, 11:12 am

Opps, I forgot to enclose the link to my 1-minute test. https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_hbeuph.mp3

MagicMan

Post by MagicMan » December 31st, 2017, 11:26 am

Brother, you need to be on RADIO! Everything was good except for your volume. It needs to be between a 87 and 92dbs. You came in at 93.5. Lower your volume just a hair and re-submit your test to this thread. You can use the same file name if you like. If you have any questions, just ask. If you list your mic, operating system and recording software, I can give you more detailed instructions if you need them. :thumbs:

hbeuph

Post by hbeuph » December 31st, 2017, 4:27 pm

Aw, shucks, thanks for the kind words! I am using Audacity, a Blue Nessie mike, Windows 8. For this test, the mike volume was set in Audacity at 1.0. Would you suggest 0.9 or 0.8? With that setting, would you need to hear the test again, or am I ready to go? Thanks.

MagicMan

Post by MagicMan » December 31st, 2017, 5:32 pm

hbeuph wrote:Blue Nessie mike
OK, the old lock-nest monster. Ya, just drop it down 1 notch @ a time and then check it. You will need to install RePlayGain or MP3 Gain to check your audio level. This video will walk you through the steps. You will need to resubmit another test file. You can keep the same name and just upload it back to this thread. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. :thumbs:

hbeuph

Post by hbeuph » January 1st, 2018, 10:30 pm

I THINK I have uploaded the second test, test2_hbeuph. (I had less trouble finding my way on my first day in Bangkok than I'm having in Librivox!) I downloaded the Checker and it reported 87.3 for this test. That gives me a guide for nudging it slightly upward. I look forward to your review.

MagicMan

Post by MagicMan » January 1st, 2018, 10:55 pm

OK, do you know where you posted the link at? I will be up all night and I will check it out as soon as you post it, and I get notified via their email update system. LOL, I feel ya on getting around in forums. :mrgreen: :lol:

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » January 2nd, 2018, 6:21 am

It's here: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test2_hbeuph.mp3 :)

Basically, if you change the file name, you need to copy the URL that the uploader gives you when the file is done uploading. (If you don't change the file name, the old link will work. The uploader renames the old file, so the link is always current if you use the same file name.)
Original journals on the Exploration of the Mississippi: Here
Fiction, partly about jail atrocities: It Is Never too Late
Watergate Report, volume 2: Here

MagicMan

Post by MagicMan » January 2nd, 2018, 7:28 am

Thank you for posting the link. Just so you know, I have no problem with anyone coming behind me to give a test request the yay or nay status. It just helps speed things up for all involved.

Your file passed Brother! It can be marked as OK. You can still raise your input a db or two but it does pass. Man, you got the voice. If you ever want to get into paid announcements or narration, hit me up. I have jobs line up you would be a perfect fit for!

Thanks again @TriciaG.

hbeuph

Post by hbeuph » January 2nd, 2018, 1:46 pm

Try this location. Sorry I'm such a boob about these opening procedures. I'll do better when I have an actual book in front of me!
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test2_hbeuph.mp3

hbeuph

Post by hbeuph » January 2nd, 2018, 5:39 pm

Many thanks to TriciaG for pulling me through the pipeline! And to MagicMan for your patience and compliments. I looked briefly at the world of paid work once but didn't follow through on it. Your advice would be much appreciated.
In the meantime, it looks like I'm cleared to record for Librivox! What's my next step?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » January 2nd, 2018, 5:45 pm

Your next step is to peruse the Readers Wanted parts of the forums (there are three for English projects: books, short works, and dramatic works), find something that interests you, and volunteer for it. :) Instructions for claiming and all that stuff are in the first post of every project thread.
Original journals on the Exploration of the Mississippi: Here
Fiction, partly about jail atrocities: It Is Never too Late
Watergate Report, volume 2: Here

hbeuph

Post by hbeuph » January 2nd, 2018, 9:02 pm

Will do. Thanks to both of you for "launching" me.