One Minute Test!

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
BobKlingerman

Post by BobKlingerman » December 27th, 2017, 6:01 pm

Good Evening!

Below is the link to my One Minute Test. I'm looking forward to your input!

Please don't hold back, I want to do this right.

Just a heads up, there's a little background noise, but the wiki said to send a raw file. I'd otherwise have edited that out (the wonders of forced hot air heat!).

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to what you all have to say!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test ... german.mp3
I'm always looking for advice on everything from forum etiquette I might be unknowingly violating to my recordings. Please don't hold back, I want to improve

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » December 27th, 2017, 6:16 pm

Hello Bob,

Thanks for the test. It's close. Real close...

You got the volume in the range (it could be a bit higher, but that's nit-picking). You got the number of channels right (it's mono!). The sample rate (44.1K) is where it needs to be. :thumbs:

Your bitrate is wrong. It's supposed to be constant. Yours is variable. If you kept your recording (which you always should) in Audacity, open it up and export it again, and this time tell it to make it constant bitrate of 128 Kbps.

That's all.

Yes, there is a bit of room noise, which can be easily cleaned out, and you can learn to do it while recording for a real project.

So, one step to go. You're almost there... :)

ETA: oh, forgot to remind you to upload a new file (you can keep the same name) and then post the link again in a reply here. Hear you soon!
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

BobKlingerman

Post by BobKlingerman » December 28th, 2017, 6:04 am

So close! I'll re-export that the second I'm home.

Thanks for the help!
I'm always looking for advice on everything from forum etiquette I might be unknowingly violating to my recordings. Please don't hold back, I want to improve

BobKlingerman

Post by BobKlingerman » January 2nd, 2018, 3:06 am

Apologies for the wait, busy week this week.

Here is my new test with the constant bitrate:

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test ... german.mp3

moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » January 2nd, 2018, 3:20 am

As tovarisch is offline I had a quick look.

Wonderful deep voice, I love that! :9:

You're really, really close, you only missed the bitrate of 128 kbps, you have 192 kbps.

On File -> Export, in the pop-up window choose the 128 kbps in Quality (or in the Options if you use an older version of Audacity)

Only one more test, please, post it here again :)