[OK]One Minute Test!

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
nannerscan

Post by nannerscan » December 27th, 2017, 5:23 pm

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » December 27th, 2017, 5:30 pm

Volume is spot on, no background noise or plosives. :thumbs:

Two technical things to fix:

1) The recording is in stereo. To change all future recordings, go to Edit, Preferences, Devices. Under Recording, change Channels to "1 (Mono)".

2) Bit rate is variable; it needs to be 128 constant. This is set when you export to MP3. When you go to export, on the screen where you enter the file name for the MP3, change the Bit Rate mode to Constant, and the quality should be 128 kbps. You should only have to set it once; it'll remember the setting until you change it again.

Try making these adjustments, then post another test. Use the same file name as your previous one, and post in this same thread when it's ready. :)
Original journals on the Exploration of the Mississippi: Here
Fiction, partly about jail atrocities: It Is Never too Late
Watergate Report, volume 2: Here

nannerscan

Post by nannerscan » December 27th, 2017, 5:47 pm

My microphone was already set to 1 (mono). I just double checked. How can you tell it’s wrong?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » December 27th, 2017, 5:49 pm

Two ways I can tell: (1) when I open it up in Audacity, I see two tracks rather than 1. (2) The Checker program tells me it's in stereo.

Okay, try this: On the export screen where you select the bit rate, at the bottom is a check box, "Force Export to Mono". Try checking that box also.
Original journals on the Exploration of the Mississippi: Here
Fiction, partly about jail atrocities: It Is Never too Late
Watergate Report, volume 2: Here

nannerscan

Post by nannerscan » January 1st, 2018, 10:46 pm

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » January 1st, 2018, 10:55 pm

Hi, Savannah! Nice job with this second test. :clap: You've fixed the technical issues as far as mono and bit rate. However, this second test (79 dB) is significantly softer than your first one (89 dB), and with more background noise. Were you using a different recording setup or recording in a different environment? If so, the first one was better. :) If not, something else may have changed in your settings in the meantime. I'd try turning up the input on my mic a little bit and giving it another go to get the volume back up to where it should be, and remember to apply some noise cleaning. Your bit rate and all that stuff should have been saved by Audacity, so you shouldn't need to worry about that again. You're almost there!
Devorah Allen
My own recording must be put on hold until my voice isn't sick. :(
Journal of Francis Asbury, traveling preacher in America 1771-1815
Cats, Ghosts, and Blackmail: The Countess of Lowndes Square
Four-act play: If I Had a Father

nannerscan

Post by nannerscan » January 10th, 2018, 10:34 pm

Okay, I was sitting at a different angle at my table. The acoustics must be better on the other side.

nannerscan

Post by nannerscan » January 10th, 2018, 11:08 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_savannahcannon3.mp3

Is this not too loud? I amplified the sound to make it similar to my first test. I had checked the other settings (input from my computer, etc) and didn't see anything that would have affected the dBs that drastically.

Also, how would I clean up the file? Thank you for your assistance. This is a tad more complicated than I thought it would be :shock:

MagicMan

Post by MagicMan » January 11th, 2018, 12:35 am

Good Morning. Everything passed and your test can be marked OK! :thumbs: As far as how to clean your file, I have a link in my signature if you use Audacity to a short video that goes over this process. You have a great voice. :D

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » January 11th, 2018, 1:26 am

nannerscan wrote:
January 10th, 2018, 11:08 pm
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_savannahcannon3.mp3

Is this not too loud? I amplified the sound to make it similar to my first test. I had checked the other settings (input from my computer, etc) and didn't see anything that would have affected the dBs that drastically.

Also, how would I clean up the file? Thank you for your assistance. This is a tad more complicated than I thought it would be :shock:
Everyone was new once - you're cleared to look through the readers wanted forums and find something that interests you , and claim it. Read the first post in the project you pick , and ask there if you have questions. If you are interested in poetry , the weekly poem is a good way to get something in the catalogue quickly and they are a friendly lot there viewtopic.php?f=19&t=68729 for this weeks
But most of all - have fun

Anne
Our objective is to make all books in the public domain available, for free, in audio format on the internet. - Hugh McGuire.

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » January 11th, 2018, 12:03 pm

Great job, Savannah!

As stated above, everyone was new once. Take it one step at a time, and you'll be just fine! :thumbs:

Noise cleaning is very simple in Audacity and takes seconds. MagicMan has made a good video, as he stated above. Here is another one that I like quite a bit, made by another LibriVox volunteer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFSg9o37HMw After you've done it once, it'll be a piece of cake from then on. I run about 10-15dB of noise cleaning on everything I record.

I still have the story you requested in Countess of Lowndes Square held for you. If you're still interested, I'll go ahead and officially assign it to you now that you have your test approved. :)
Devorah Allen
My own recording must be put on hold until my voice isn't sick. :(
Journal of Francis Asbury, traveling preacher in America 1771-1815
Cats, Ghosts, and Blackmail: The Countess of Lowndes Square
Four-act play: If I Had a Father