The first test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » January 7th, 2018, 2:16 am

AnaLuca wrote:
January 6th, 2018, 4:16 pm
I tried to apply all your suggestions.
Great :clap:
Bitrate is fine, at 128 kbps
Recording is mono
Sample rate is at 44100 Hz
Volume is on point at the ro(Romanian?)-test, only one dB out of the range in the english test but it doesn't sound too loud
Noise is acceptable, I can hear your voice clearly and it didn't bother me at all.

You worked very well on the raw file :thumbs: For LibriVox, this test can be marked as ok.

Of course you can still work on your setup here to make your recordings even better :)

I am a bit curious, your test is named "kitchen", so I assume it was recorded in the kitchen - what about the pillow behind the mic in the room you recorded before? Is it better?

If you'd like to buy a new microphone I don't want to keep you from it, the economical me in myself only thinks, it's maybe better to test whether you like recording before investing :) There are audiobooks on LibriVox that show different microphones:
https://librivox.org/search?q=microphone&search_form=advanced

I do have a small condenser that I originally bought for singing and music that serves very well for my LibriVox-recordings, too. You might want to buy an USB-microphone, it is just easier to handle.

edit: I wanted to mention that those showdown's arent't tests and also that you will have to choose (and maybe test) the mic you like most with testing it yourself, as far as it is possible. But the showdowns might give you some hints, maybe. There are a couple of microphones used here at LibriVox that are very popular, I remember Blue Yeti, Samson ??, Blue Snowball, ..
I think this thread might help you:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=64263&p=1329250&hilit=microphone#p1329250

AnaLuca

Post by AnaLuca » January 7th, 2018, 8:45 am

Thank you for your "ok". I guess this means I can get down to work.
Of course, I will try to improve the quality of my recordings along the way.

The plan to buy a new mic will be put on hold for a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, I went on a mad online shopping spree last evening, so I must hold back from spending for a little while.

I appreciate your suggestion to listen to recordings taken with different kinds of microphones, though, as I am a bit impulsive, my first thought was to buy the one MagicMan suggested, ATR 2100 USB Dynamic, as soon as I could.

I haven’t taken any other recording tests in the living-room (where I recorded the first one I sent you). I did put a pillow behind the mic in the kitchen but it didn’t seem to make any difference to me.

Have a great Sunday afternoon!! :D

MagicMan

Post by MagicMan » January 7th, 2018, 9:15 am

Here is something else you can try. The C-90 has a shoe for a tripod. You can buy a very small one for around $5.00. Place it on your desk so the camers is about 4 inches from your mouth, to the left or right just a little. In Audacity, if you click the meter that has the mic next to it, it will show what your input level is. Adjust your input level using the mic input level slider, till that meter is between the -12 and -18db range. Place the pillow behind the mic and give it a go. It is referred to as "mic proximity" and is a neat little trick for reducing reverb as well. You can also hold the camera like it was on a tripod if you just want to check it out to see if you may like it. It's free and is a easy way to help you make an informed decision. Keep me posted. :thumbs:

moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » January 7th, 2018, 9:19 am

AnaLuca wrote:
January 7th, 2018, 8:45 am
Thank you for your "ok".
You're welcome. :)
AnaLuca wrote:
I guess this means I can get down to work.
Oh, yes, of course. Sorry, normally I write something like "have fun recording" or so, I just forgot it this time :oops:
AnaLuca wrote:
my first thought was to buy the one MagicMan suggested, ATR 2100 USB Dynamic, as soon as I could.
That's an Audio-Technica, right? That is not a bad mic at all, I guess. I do not know this specific one, but the other ones of that company I found have good ratings. So, if you like it, why not? :)
AnaLuca wrote:
I haven’t taken any other recording tests in the living-room (where I recorded the first one I sent you). I did put a pillow behind the mic in the kitchen but it didn’t seem to make any difference to me.
In that case just record where and how you feel most comfortable :)