1 minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
eringrassie

Post by eringrassie » December 18th, 2017, 7:47 pm

Hi!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_eringrassie.mp3

Recording on a Mac through Audacity with an analog mic.

Super excited! Any suggestions on how to not sound like I'm in a tin can?

Thanks!

-erin in Oakland

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » December 20th, 2017, 3:24 pm

Welcome!

Hmm, it doesn't sound like you're recording in a tin can to me. I do hear some background noise, and a little bit of room echo. The room echo (if you want to correct it) would take hanging some blankets around your recording area, or making a small "sound booth" around your mic. At the very least, depending on your setup, you could try stacking pillows or folded towels on back and two sides of your mic to help dampen some of the room echo.

But that's optional. ;) Here are the things that need fixing:

1. Your volume is actually a bit too high. Visually, you should aim for your wave forms to peak near the 0.5 mark, like this:

I'd suggest moving the microphone slider in Audacity down maybe... try two notches. If it's at 0.8 now, try 0.6.

2. Bit rate is variable; it needs to be 128 constant. This is set when you export to MP3. When you go to export, on the screen where you enter the file name for the MP3, change the Bit Rate mode to Constant, and the quality should be 128 kbps. You should only have to set it once; it'll remember the setting until you change it again.

3. I hear more room noise in the beginning of your recording than at the end. I would recommend noise reduction. Here are a couple resources:
text instructions: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Nois ... _With_Pics
video, but with an older version of Audacity so the settings are different: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFSg9o37HMw

My settings are as follows:
Noise reduction: 10-16 (I suggest about 12-14 for you)
Sensitivity: 6
Frequency Smoothing: 6

In your sample, I pulled the "Noise profile" portion using the silence at about 12.5 seconds, and that seemed to work well.

Whew! Got all that? :lol: Try making these adjustments, then post another test. Use the same file name as your previous one, and post in this same thread when it's ready. :)
Original journals on the Exploration of the Mississippi: Here
Fiction, partly about jail atrocities: It Is Never too Late
Watergate Report, volume 2: Here

eringrassie

Post by eringrassie » December 20th, 2017, 3:30 pm

Awesome - thanks for all the help. I'll get on the fixes and post another test in a few days... more like next week. :wink:

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » December 20th, 2017, 3:53 pm

Yeah - busy time of year. 8-)

eringrassie

Post by eringrassie » January 4th, 2018, 6:28 pm

Hi, Tricia!

Ok- I *think* I fixed what needed fixing. Still a lot to learn. Here's the new recording. I changed the kbps, lowered the volume and used the noise reduction function that you recommended and it got rid of a lot of the background noise. Thx! I'm finding that if I record a few seconds of nothing before I start, the background noise seems to lessen on its own a little.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_eringrassie2.mp3

Happy New Year! and thanks for your time.

-erin
And verily did the chains fall off all manner of things which sorely needed chaining.
I’m ->superpsyched<- for the opportunity to join this community, learn all I can and read all I can.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » January 4th, 2018, 6:34 pm

Mucho better! 8-)

Yes, waiting a bit to let the noise settle down makes a lot of sense.

You're good to go. Go forth and record!

eringrassie

Post by eringrassie » January 4th, 2018, 7:09 pm

Woot!Woot! Thank you! :D
And verily did the chains fall off all manner of things which sorely needed chaining.
I’m ->superpsyched<- for the opportunity to join this community, learn all I can and read all I can.

eringrassie

Post by eringrassie » January 9th, 2018, 12:56 pm

Bahahaha!! Turns out I had this on 'built in microphone' instead of "Shure 5"- which is plugged into my computer. Makes a big difference. Much more so than my crazy sound booth I rigged up! My husband cracked up and said, "...this is why we can't have nice things." Thought you might like the laugh and to know I do not actually speak through a tin can to get all that amazing background sound. :lol: :lol: :lol:

-> slow clap :clap:

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/omgthisisembarassing.mp3