Please Listen to my 1 Minute test. TYIA [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr » December 12th, 2017, 4:25 pm

"The Hearts Verdict"

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/THE_ ... DICT_2.mp3

Thank you again for your time and help.
Helen

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » December 12th, 2017, 6:33 pm

Hi Helen. I'm very glad you figured out how to upload, it should be easier now.

First off, your voice is very nice. I like it! But there are some things you should change, make another test (call it test 2) and upload again.

1. we need 128kbs and your recording is at around 97.

2. your volume is a bit low and needs to be increased by about 10 decibles. Don't worry if that does not make sense, just move closer to the microphone, increase the volume slider if you have one or use the one built into Audacity, just make it a bit louder.

To change your bit rate to 128kbs watch my video again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqmCOxOs_pM it is chosen when you export the file .. look for Options.

Anyway, you are almost home here. Just set the bit rate to 128kbs, increase your volume and make another little recording, calling it test 2 or something. Then upload it into this same thread and I will see it ASAP. Very soon you will be recording lots and lots. :thumbs:
Phil Chenevert, The LibriVox Video Guy
You'd think hip-hop music would have more bunnies in it - but no.

Need Help? Lots of Helpful Videos Here

HZFerr

Post by HZFerr » December 12th, 2017, 8:04 pm

Hi Phil thank you for your time.

Once again things do not go exactly as shown. I have watched your video, but my

FILE > Export doesn't look anything like yours. I am using for windows 7. There is an entire list EXPORT AS MP3
" as WAV
OGG
audio
Multi
That's it. Nothing on the bottom to change for bitrate.

Any idea why my audacity isn't like yours for those settings. What next?

Thank you again and have a good evening.

Helen

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » December 12th, 2017, 8:14 pm

HZFerr wrote:Hi Phil thank you for your time.

Once again things do not go exactly as shown. I have watched your video, but my

FILE > Export doesn't look anything like yours. I am using for windows 7. There is an entire list EXPORT AS MP3
" as WAV
OGG
audio
Multi
That's it. Nothing on the bottom to change for bitrate.
Any idea why my audacity isn't like yours for those settings. What next?

Thank you again and have a good evening.
Helen
Way at the very bottom of the screen on the right look for a button that says "options" it is beneath 'save' and 'cancel'. When you click on the options button it allows you to chooose the bit rate. Try it again and if it is not there we will look for another solution.

HZFerr

Post by HZFerr » December 16th, 2017, 3:19 pm

Hi Philip,

New (hopefully) improved test. I can't get "checker" to work, so I don't know if the volume is corrected.
TYIA Helen

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test4121617.mp3

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » December 16th, 2017, 4:18 pm

HZFerr wrote:Hi Philip,

New (hopefully) improved test. I can't get "checker" to work, so I don't know if the volume is corrected.
TYIA Helen
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test4121617.mp3
You have successfully made the bit rate 128kbs! that is great. also all the other technical specs are correct. the volume is still a bit low. You do not need to make another recording, just amplify the one you made. This is very simple to do. Here is a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_z607awyLw

Amplify the file you already have on your computer (the last one you made) by 8, export it as test 3 and send it. You are very close now, don't give up!!!

Extra note:
When you look at a track in Audacity, there is a little microphone symbol at the top with a slider bar next to it, is that bar all the way to the right? That will increase the volume going in which is preferable to having to amplify it. This is for future recordings.

Don't worry about checker. :D

HZFerr

Post by HZFerr » December 16th, 2017, 7:27 pm

Phil,

The slider is all the way to the right end. I'll watch the video.

Thank you, again. :D

Enjoy the rest of your evening.
Helen

"Ains a year say a prayer faur me
close yir een an remember me." Sgt. Joseph Kilna MacKenzie

POW/MIA, we will remember them.

HZFerr

Post by HZFerr » December 16th, 2017, 9:57 pm

Hi Phil,

I hope all is well with you, you have much patients and you are an excellent instructor.

Test3. I used the video, hopefully made the correct increase in volume.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Test3.mp3

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » December 16th, 2017, 10:19 pm

HZFerr wrote:Hi Phil,

I hope all is well with you, you have much patients and you are an excellent instructor.

Test3. I used the video, hopefully made the correct increase in volume.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Test3.mp3
YES! You did it! That is OK. Now please look at the track of your amplified track, that is what your future recordings should look like, about that amplitude is what you should aim at. Here is another video (yes, another!) that gives another way of estimating your volume. You are cleared for recording and have the official OK. Please continue to ask questions.
And thank you for your praise, I like helping people and know what it feels like to be frustreated. I am old and have the time. Image

HZFerr

Post by HZFerr » December 17th, 2017, 8:36 am

Great big hug () with your permission of course. :D
Helen

"Ains a year say a prayer faur me
close yir een an remember me." Sgt. Joseph Kilna MacKenzie

POW/MIA, we will remember them.

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » December 17th, 2017, 9:56 am

I LOVE hugs. Thanks for that and for the dancing penguin gif; i have added it to my collection of good stuff. Oh, and here is that link I mentioned but forgot to include http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9WF82rf81o

MagicMan

Post by MagicMan » December 22nd, 2017, 9:22 am

HZFerr wrote:Hi Phil, I hope all is well with you, you have much patients and you are an excellent instructor. Test3. I used the video, hopefully made the correct increase in volume.
I love your voice. I have added your recording to one of the training videos I have done for a member of LibriVox. I would love to make it the norm for the closing of any video I do concerning LibriVox. I am not their official video instructor but I do love helping others. This video was made for another member who wants to get into proof listening. You can view the video here.

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » December 22nd, 2017, 10:19 am

MagicMan wrote:
HZFerr wrote:Hi Phil, I hope all is well with you, you have much patients and you are an excellent instructor. Test3. I used the video, hopefully made the correct increase in volume.
I love your voice. I have added your recording to one of the training videos I have done for a member of LibriVox. I would love to make it the norm for the closing of any video I do concerning LibriVox. I am not their official video instructor but I do love helping others. This video was made for another member who wants to get into proof listening. You can view the video here.
Hi Magic Man. I am very glad you have begun to make videos that will help people learn the technical aspects we need at LibriVox. We can;t have too many things that will make it easier for people to learn and participate. One note though, it might be good to mention that Standard proof listening does not require them to check specs at all, just to be sure the disclaimers, and silences are right and that nothing really bad happens during the recording like repeats, loud sounds and things like that. In other words, they can PL just by listening, without any programs at all. Of course it is very nice if they can check the specs like you show and I'd hope they all could do it but it is not required. Keep up the good work and I look forward to many more of your videos. :thumbs:

MagicMan

Post by MagicMan » December 22nd, 2017, 10:57 am

philchenevert wrote:One note though, it might be good to mention that Standard proof listening does not require them to check specs at all, just to be sure the disclaimers, and silences are right and that nothing really bad happens during the recording like repeats, loud sounds and things like that. In other words, they can PL just by listening, without any programs at all. Of course it is very nice if they can check the specs like you show and I'd hope they all could do it but it is not required. Keep up the good work and I look forward to many more of your videos. :thumbs:
Thank you for the kind words. I take my lead from your wiki pages. As mentioned in the video being part 1, this was the tech side. I will address your issue in part 2. This is the first paragraph from your wiki site for proof listening:

"Proof-listening is the process of listening to a recording in order to catch recording mistakes, and verify that the file meets the technical requirements. All recordings are "prooflistened" to catch repeats, big stumbles or long pauses. A Proof-Listener is the volunteer who does the proof-listening, and will report back any errors in the file".

The first video just shows how simple it is to check the tech side of proof listening. Part 2 will be a little more detailed as it concerns different levels of PLing, as requested by the narrator. I will be using Reaper as well as Audacity for these videos.

moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » December 22nd, 2017, 12:56 pm

philchenevert wrote:One note though, it might be good to mention that Standard proof listening does not require them to check specs at all,
Hmm. I thought, and I always got them, if I did it wrong, that the tech specs are in all levels of PL and the difference is only regarding the text - one time just listening, one time reading along and on special request hints for good reading?
MagicMan wrote:I am not their official video instructor
Is there such thing like an official instructor on a community like LibriVox? :lol: I always thought somebody just does :) And I think it's wonderful, as different people have different approaches and so might understand on person better than the other.
Two little notes and ideas to your video (btw, I love the 1-minute-test at the end):
- People here often suggest replay gain, a plugin in audacity, and/or checker here to check volume/tech specs. You also see the bitrate and so on in the properties of a mp3. Would it be possible to ad that to the video?
- In the video the mouse pointer is a long time on wrong specs. Sometimes brains make funny things; I suspect that people could remember the wrong data (although you really show the correct data great at the end, that's wonderful). Would it be possible to cross the wrong things out, just as idea?

@Helen, sorry for the OT, but you're cleared anyway and probably already happily reading. You diction is wonderful clear :thumbs: