Please Listen to my 1 Minute test. TYIA [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan » December 22nd, 2017, 1:44 pm

Is there such thing like an official instructor on a community like LibriVox? :lol: I always thought somebody just does :) And I think it's wonderful, as different people have different approaches and so might understand on person better than the other.
Having a community full of volunteers is a wonderful thing. Some members will lean towards doing what they do best or are most comfortable with. As far as I know, the person who has put the most effort in for "How To Videos" in this community is @philchenevert. It is hard coming onto the scene with new ideas with training videos. I have no desire to overstep my boundaries concerning these videos and I would like to think they will do someone some good, in 2017/2018. IMHO, I do consider @philchenevert the Official Video Instructor/Coordinator for the LibriVox community.
Two little notes and ideas to your video (btw, I love the 1-minute-test at the end):
- People here often suggest replay gain, a plugin in audacity, and/or checker here to check volume/tech specs. You also see the bitrate and so on in the properties of a mp3. Would it be possible to ad that to the video?
Not really. Audacity is a mixing program and is not accurate when it comes to analyzing audio. I have used Audacity for over 15 years and it pains me to even be discussing it, as far as a recording program. Even their official forum states it is not a DAW. I know it is used by millions, but that is only because it is free. Their latest version no longer includes the replay gain plugin and that is one of the things people are complaining about on their official forum, as well as this community. They say it is included yet it can not be activated on most OS. You can click here to see over 250 post on their forum, with over 5000 reply's, on why people can not meet the ACX requirements. I know LibriVox does not have these same standards, but the same problems will effect either community.
- In the video the mouse pointer is a long time on wrong specs. Sometimes brains make funny things; I suspect that people could remember the wrong data (although you really show the correct data great at the end, that's wonderful). Would it be possible to cross the wrong things out, just as idea?
I have watched the video and on my end, the mouse pointer is dead on track. If you are experiencing a lag, it is more than likely due to your internet connection or video buffer settings. I use Camstasia for my screen-cast. Once I record the video, I export the wav file into Reaper to mix and master it. YT streams at a -13dbs with a -0.1dbTP and that is what I render/export the audio at.
@Helen, sorry for the OT, but you're cleared anyway and probably already happily reading. You diction is wonderful clear :thumbs:
100% AGREED! :thumbs:

moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » December 22nd, 2017, 2:20 pm

MagicMan wrote: Having a community full of volunteers is a wonderful thing. Some members will lean towards doing what they do best or are most comfortable with. As far as I know, the person who has put the most effort in for "How To Videos" in this community is @philchenevert. It is hard coming onto the scene with new ideas with training videos. I have no desire to overstep my boundaries concerning these videos and I would like to think they will do someone some good, in 2017/2018. IMHO, I do consider @philchenevert the Official Video Instructor/Coordinator for the LibriVox community.
Yes, he is very active. Even I, who doesn't like to watch videos and prefer to learn from written text have noticed his wonderful videos. The wonderful thing about this community is, that no one feels bad if his or her reading/video/something else is done in a second version; LibriVox has the spirit of "choice of voice" and I think same is true for instruction.
Not really. Audacity is a mixing program and is not accurate when it comes to analyzing audio. I have used Audacity for over 15 years and it pains me to even be discussing it, as far as a recording program. Even their official forum states it is not a DAW. I know it is used by millions, but that is only because it is free. Their latest version no longer includes the replay gain plugin and that is one of the things people are complaining about on their official forum, as well as this community. They say it is included yet it can not be activated on most OS. You can click here to see over 250 post on their forum, with over 5000 reply's, on why people can not meet the ACX requirements. I know LibriVox does not have these same standards, but the same problems will effect either community.
Ok, as my operating system comes with the last version of Audacity and I record with Ardour meanwhile (its free, too, at least for linux) I didn't know that.
What about checker? It does still work, does it? (Haven't got Java to run this time, I don't know why, :oops: so I can't tell)
I have watched the video and on my end, the mouse pointer is dead on track. If you are experiencing a lag, it is more than likely due to your internet connection or video buffer settings. I use Camstasia for my screen-cast. Once I record the video, I export the wav file into Reaper to mix and master it. YT streams at a -13dbs with a -0.1dbTP and that is what I render/export the audio at.
That wasn't a technical thing what I meant, but don't mind :)

MagicMan

Post by MagicMan » December 22nd, 2017, 2:29 pm

moniaqua wrote:Ok, as my operating system comes with the last version of Audacity and I record with Ardour meanwhile (its free, too, at least for linux) I didn't know that.
I have no knowledge of Linux nor do I offer any advice on using their system. As far as Ardour, it is in the same boat as Linux. I had to look it up.

What about checker? It does still work, does it? (Haven't got Java to run this time, I don't know why, :oops: so I can't tell)
I do not use Checker, so again, I have no advice on it.

That wasn't a technical thing what I meant, but don't mind :)
:thumbs:

moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » December 22nd, 2017, 2:35 pm

MagicMan wrote: I do not use Checker, so again, I have no advice on it.
Ok :) I liked it very much when it worked because for the tests it comes in really handy. But I am also surviving without :)

HZFerr

Post by HZFerr » December 31st, 2017, 9:51 pm

MagicMan wrote:
HZFerr wrote:Hi Phil, I hope all is well with you, you have much patients and you are an excellent instructor. Test3. I used the video, hopefully made the correct increase in volume.
I love your voice. I have added your recording to one of the training videos I have done for a member of LibriVox. I would love to make it the norm for the closing of any video I do concerning LibriVox. I am not their official video instructor but I do love helping others. This video was made for another member who wants to get into proof listening. You can view the video here.
:shock: You talking to me? (Robert DeNero, Taxi Driver) She says, making sure she is in the right thread. Sadly, the video is gone. TY Magic Man.
Helen

"Ains a year say a prayer faur me
close yir een an remember me." Sgt. Joseph Kilna MacKenzie

POW/MIA, we will remember them.

MagicMan

Post by MagicMan » January 1st, 2018, 1:28 am

HZFerr wrote: :shock: You talking to me? (Robert DeNero, Taxi Driver) She says, making sure she is in the right thread. Sadly, the video is gone. TY Magic Man.
Please forgive me. YT is being a pain right now and I am busier then a single moo cow in a cheese factory. This is the link for the intro for a Podcast sponsoring LibriVox I will be starting shortly. This is just a rough draft. This is the outro for any videos I do concerning LibriVox. This is pretty well finished, as long as you grant me permission. :wink:

HZFerr

Post by HZFerr » January 1st, 2018, 8:16 pm

MagicMan,

I am flattered, but I am not interested. I am sure, from all the other 1 minute tests submitted, you will find someone more worthy than I to be a part of your project.

I humbly decline.

Thank you for understanding.
Helen

MagicMan

Post by MagicMan » January 1st, 2018, 9:07 pm

No problem. I will make other arrangements. I truly do love the excitement in your voice. I also need to apologize to you. I thought that this was your first post, as it was in the test forum. I just saw your post count and I had to do a double take. Happy New Year. :D

HZFerr

Post by HZFerr » January 2nd, 2018, 1:39 pm

Post count is for DPL projects. :D
Helen