This is my 30-second test, please have a listen. :) [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Bobbin

Post by Bobbin » December 7th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Hi all, newbie here. I recorded this with Cubase 9, on Windows 10, using an analog, pro mic (StudioProject C1). I'm actually pretty sure it's OK, but maybe you guys can hear any issues that I currently don't. Would love your feedback. Thanks!
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_Bobbin.mp3

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 9th, 2017, 6:49 am

hello Adair, welcome to our forum :D

actually your test reading is very nice, I loved to listen to it. It has a certain quality that I have not heard before. I cannot really say what it was, maybe a bit of an echo ? Like you were reading in a higher room or something ? In any case, it was not a bad effect, it really sounds great. I didn't mind it at all, it was only interesting in its novelty (well at least for me).

Only one technical aspect needs to be tweaked to make it LV standard:

your recording is in Stereo but we need it in Mono. Now I don't know the audioprogram you are using, so I cannot comment on how to make your recording in Mono. There must be some sort of "Settings" that you can correct to the right parametres I suppose. :hmm: If you can't find it either, you could try posting the question in the Help forum, there's probably some tech-person that knows more about this than me.

Could you please reupload this same test once you managed to make it Mono so I can have a second look ?

thank you and I hope to hear back from you soon :)

Sonia

Bobbin

Post by Bobbin » December 10th, 2017, 5:05 am

Hello Sonia! (Actually, it's Adir) :)

No problem, here's the same recording in Mono. The recording itself is actually Mono as well, but the MP3 file was exported in Stereo (so the 2 channels contain the same content). If your requirement is that the MP3 files be exported in Mono as well, no problem.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/monotest_Bobbin.mp3

Thank you for your compliments! However, the echo effect you hear is not intentional - I am recording in a small room without any acoustic treatment, so some echo is going to be present for the time being. I will, however, address it in the near future. For now, I understand it's enough (as long as the output file is Mono)?

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 10th, 2017, 11:24 am

hi Adir (sorry for the mis-spelling)

yes now the file is in mono, which is what we require :thumbs:

I can mark your test OK now, however the volume is a tiny bit over our accepted limit of 86-92 dB. Yours is 92.8 dB. If it was a real recording for our projects now, you would have to decrease the volume by a few decibels. I suppose your program has a good tool to do that as well.

Well, you are ready to roll. Have fun with your first recordings ! :)

Sonia

Bobbin

Post by Bobbin » December 11th, 2017, 6:14 am

Thank you Sonia, I'll keep that in mind!