1-minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
runcaleb

Post by runcaleb » November 24th, 2017, 2:07 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_runcaleb.mp3

Hi Guys! I'm using GarageBand, on a Mac, and an Audio-Technica USB mic

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 26th, 2017, 5:57 am

Hello Caleb, welcome to the forum :D

thank you for starting with a one-minute test. It's always better to check the technical details before launching in a big recording.

Concerning your reading, it's absolutely fine, nice diction and enunciation, clear speech, easy on the ear. It's a pleasure to listen to your voice. :)

For the technical aspects, you need to change two things to make it LibriVox standard.

1) your recording is in stereo but we need mono. Unfortunately I don't know my way around Garagband, but the problem has been discussed in this thread, maybe if you don't know how to get it to Mono, you can check here or ask further help: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=61965&hilit=garageband+stereo

2) we need a constant bitrate of 128 kbps, yours is 192 kbps. Also here, I hope you can find the place where to change these settings.

Could you please change this in your initial recording and reupload ? The rest is absolutely fine. Please post in the same thread, so I can have a second listen.

Thanks

Sonia

runcaleb

Post by runcaleb » November 26th, 2017, 1:16 pm

Sounds great Sonia. Great feedback. I'll make it happen and get back to you asap.

runcaleb

Post by runcaleb » November 27th, 2017, 1:42 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_runcaleb.mp3
Alright, for sure it's 128 now, and I think it's in Mono. I followed all the directions I could find. If it doesn't work I'll just have to scrap GB and go for Audacity. I'm familiar with both, but I did a podcast for a year and used GB primarily.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 28th, 2017, 12:30 am

the bitrate is correct now, that's true, but unfortunately it's still in Stereo :( I don't know why GB is making it so difficult to make a file Mono, but I encountered this problem with other users before. I still don't know how they managed in the end. I think many have indeed switched to Audacity :lol:

If you want to use GB, maybe you can post in the thread I gave you in my previous post, and there they can give you more detailed instructions.

Could you then reupload once more please ? The rest is all fine, we only need it in Mono.

Thanks, and sorry for the trouble :(

Sonia

runcaleb

Post by runcaleb » December 6th, 2017, 5:44 pm

Okay Sonia, sorry this took forever. Got Audacity, re-recorded and here it is: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_runcaleb.mp3

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 7th, 2017, 1:12 am

thanks Caleb for being persistent. And it was a good idea to use Audacity, it seems much easier to handle regarding the settings :lol:

Your test is in Mono now (yay) and the settings are correct. Only here, the volume is not loud enough. We accept recordings from 86-92 dB and yours is only 78.4 according to Checker. But it's easy to amplify in Audacity, could you do the following to your test please (don't re-record, but try the amplify function):

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input 10 (in this case) in the first slot (amplification dB) / Warning here: you need to tick the box "Allow clipping" otherwise it won't let you amplify this time. You do have two spikes that are way louder than the rest of the recording, and these will clip. Usually this box should never be ticked, as excessive clipping can distort the sound. But in this case it's only two small parts and it won't matter once. But never do that as default solution.
> press ok

Can you re-upload one final time please ? :) I'm sure all will be fine then. And this gave you good practice with Audacity already.

Sonia

runcaleb

Post by runcaleb » December 7th, 2017, 2:12 pm

Alright, I think I got it this time: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_runcaleb.mp3

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 7th, 2017, 2:15 pm

indeed, you got it now :mrgreen: the volume is at 88.4 which is bang in the middle. :thumbs:

Here it is, the OK for your test. Thanks for persisting. Now I wish you lots of fun on the forum, enjoy your first real recordings. And maybe one day we'll meet again in a project. :)

Sonia

runcaleb

Post by runcaleb » December 7th, 2017, 4:43 pm

Awesome Sonia. Thank you!!!