This is my 1 minute test.

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
JFensk

Post by JFensk » December 7th, 2017, 9:49 am

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » December 7th, 2017, 3:23 pm

Hi, Jerrod, me again. :)

I have some time on my hands today, so I decided to go ahead and check on your test.

First, you have a great voice! Very pleasant to listen to. Nice clear diction, and I didn't hear any distracting background noise. Very good.

However, this is the wrong file format. It needs to be mp3, not wav. Are you using Audacity? If so, this is easily fixable in the export step. Go to File>Save other>Export Audio and choose Save as Type: MP3. Then, underneath, check your settings. They should be:

Bit Rate Mode: Constant
Quality: 128 kbps
Channel Mode: Joint Stereo

Then click Save. You'll only have to do this once, because Audacity will remember your settings and use them again next time. I suspect that we'll also need to bring your volume up significantly, but I can't be sure until after we have the right format, so follow these steps and post your new test here, so we can take a look. :thumbs:
Devorah Allen

Journal of Francis Asbury, traveling preacher in America 1771-1815
Cats, Ghosts, and Blackmail: The Countess of Lowndes Square
Four-act play: If I Had a Father Four teensy roles left! Try your hand at a dramatic reading!

JFensk

Post by JFensk » December 7th, 2017, 4:11 pm

mightyfelix wrote:Hi, Jerrod, me again. :)

I have some time on my hands today, so I decided to go ahead and check on your test.

First, you have a great voice! Very pleasant to listen to. Nice clear diction, and I didn't hear any distracting background noise. Very good.

However, this is the wrong file format. It needs to be mp3, not wav. Are you using Audacity? If so, this is easily fixable in the export step. Go to File>Save other>Export Audio and choose Save as Type: MP3. Then, underneath, check your settings. They should be:

Bit Rate Mode: Constant
Quality: 128 kbps
Channel Mode: Joint Stereo

Then click Save. You'll only have to do this once, because Audacity will remember your settings and use them again next time. I suspect that we'll also need to bring your volume up significantly, but I can't be sure until after we have the right format, so follow these steps and post your new test here, so we can take a look. :thumbs:
Ah! My mistake -- I had exported it in .wav on accident! Here's the .mp3 version of the file.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Librivox.mp3

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » December 7th, 2017, 5:21 pm

Much better! This is now the right format, but as I suspected, the volume is about 10 dB too low. Audacity has a way to amplify a recording or a section by a given amount, but it can get tedious to amplify each and every recording you ever make, so I recommend first adjusting your input, that is, how strong is the signal from your mic to your recording software. There is a slider in the toolbars of Audacity that has a little microphone icon next to it. Make sure this is moved all the way to the right. You can also adjust input in the audio settings of your OS, if needed.

After adjusting, make another recording, and I recommend running it through Checker to see if your adjustment put you in the desired volume range (86-92 dB). If not, repeat. It may take a few tries, but it's nice to know that thereafter, every time you record, you will already be very close to the volume you need, and will only need minor adjustments, or none at all.

Lastly, you may notice that increasing your volume will also increase any background noise that may have been present. If this happens, you'll also want to apply some noise cleaning. Here is a helpful video detailing how to do that.
Devorah Allen

Journal of Francis Asbury, traveling preacher in America 1771-1815
Cats, Ghosts, and Blackmail: The Countess of Lowndes Square
Four-act play: If I Had a Father Four teensy roles left! Try your hand at a dramatic reading!