Please Listen [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
nighthawks

Post by nighthawks » December 7th, 2017, 7:56 am

My 1 Minute test

nighthawks

Post by nighthawks » December 7th, 2017, 8:02 am

nighthawks

Post by nighthawks » December 7th, 2017, 8:11 am

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 9th, 2017, 6:41 am

Hello and a warm welcome to LibriVox :) thank you for starting out with a one minute test.

All your technical settings are ok, your volume is fine and your reading is very good. What text are you reading from ? It sounds familiar but I can't recall where I read it before. :hmm:

The only thing you need to correct is your background noise, which is very high, so as to make your reading quite muffled and hard to understand. The best thing always is to find the source of the noise, either a fan running, or traffic outside and try to muffle that noise as best you can (close the window or unplug the refrigerator while recording, stuff like that).

Now to clean up your test, you can do that in Audacity with the following step-by-step:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually we leave some seconds at the end of the file where we don't speak, so we get a good sample of the pure noise, but you cut off rather abruptly. I would suggest, select the part between 0:15 and 0:16 seconds in your recording)
> go to Effect - Noise Cleaning
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Cleaning
> now select OK

As you have excessive noise, doing this procedure twice would be a good idea

Can you do that on your test file please and reupload so I can have a second listen ?

Thank you

Sonia

nighthawks

Post by nighthawks » December 12th, 2017, 10:31 am

Thanks for your reply Sonia. The text comes from the Giant Book of the Unknown. (Legends of fire and blood) I did as you asked but could only use sound remover once as the quality on doing so twice was not very good. Hope this is better.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/nigh ... x_Test.mp3

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 12th, 2017, 12:33 pm

hi again :)

unfortunately, the background noise is still present. But I just did 2 rounds of cleaning with your test and reuploaded, to make you hear the difference to what it could sound. Have a listen, this sounds much better, doesn't it ?

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/nigh ... leaned.mp3

Maybe you distorted the sound because your cleaning settings were too "aggressive". It's often better to make two rounds of cleaning with less high numbers than one round with a higher number.

My settings are always:

Noise Reduction: 12
Sensitivity: 6
Frequency smoothing bands: 0

Other readers use different settings, but for me they work fine.

So you see, your file is not beyond hope. I would suggest, you try to muffle the source of the noise as best you can. I hope you were able to find the source of the noise :?

Anyway, I showed you the ropes and will give you an OK for your test now. The rest is "learning by doing". I suggest, start small, with a short poem or something. That way you can try out your settings and noise-cleaning abilities within a short time frame. Much better doing a short poem than recording a huge chapter of an hour and then finding out the noise is ruining it all. ;)

The weekly poem is always a good starting point, because you get feedback very quickly.

But: you're free to join any project now, and I hope you have fun. You'll see, soon you'll be more familiar with the processes and editing and you'll find a way which works best for you. And if there are still questions, never hesitate to ask in the help forum, there's always someone there who may have an answer.

Good luck

Sonia

nighthawks

Post by nighthawks » December 17th, 2017, 5:02 am

Thanks for the info, I realized my mistake in editing when I hilighted all of the sound not just the noise I have now corrected this mistake sounds much better. Thanks for the reply

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 17th, 2017, 6:49 am

nighthawks wrote:Thanks for the info, I realized my mistake in editing when I hilighted all of the sound not just the noise I have now corrected this mistake sounds much better. Thanks for the reply
well, so there is no misunderstanding:

> first you highlight only a small portion of the noise, to get the "noise profile"
> then indeed you highlight the ENTIRE text so all gets cleaned

Good luck and have fun :)

Sonia