1-Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
knittedpiano

Post by knittedpiano » December 6th, 2017, 8:15 pm

knittedpiano

Post by knittedpiano » December 8th, 2017, 7:58 am

Hello,

I realized that there were a few things not right so I have tried to fix them.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test ... dpiano.mp3

Let me know if this is right. Thanks!

~Amy

knittedpiano

Post by knittedpiano » December 8th, 2017, 1:45 pm

Oh, and I forgot to mention this:

I am using Audacity.

~Amy

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 9th, 2017, 6:28 am

hi Amy, welcome to the forum :)

you have a sweet voice that I like to listen to :9: sounds like you were having fun, which is a good thing :mrgreen:

All in all the recording was super, there is only two technical things that you need to change to make it LV standard:

1) your recording is in stereo but we need mono. You can change that here:

> go to Tracks
> select Stereo track to Mono (your two "windows" will merge into one, that means it's mono now)

2) your bitrate is 111 variable, but we need 128 kbps constant. These settings are corrected in the exporting phase:

> go to File / Export Audio
> open Options in the lower right corner
> select the following settings: Bit Rate Mode: Constant / Quality: 128 kbps / Channel Mode: Joint Stereo
> press Ok

could you do those two corrections please and reupload in this thread so I can have a second look ? Do not re-record, the rest was fine !

Sonia

knittedpiano

Post by knittedpiano » December 9th, 2017, 1:09 pm

Hello,

Thank you for these tips!!

I have changed those things and re-uploaded it.

Let me know if this works now!

Thanks!

~Amy

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 10th, 2017, 2:07 am

hello again Amy

the bitrate is set and it's mono now, yes. But did you re-record a new test ? Because in the last one, the volume was just fine but this one is exceeding our accepted limit of 86-92 dB by far. It's over 96 dB :shock:

Time to learn volume decrease in Audacity. Can you do the following please on THIS test now, do not re-record again, as my numbers are calcuated on this one.

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input -7 (do NOT forget the MINUS sign !) in the first slot (amplification dB)
> press ok

Also your background noise is very audible this time. You could try a round of noise-cleaning to make it better:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file)
> go to Effect - Noise Cleaning
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Cleaning
> now select OK

this should do the trick and you have now learnt two valuable tools of Audacity :) Believe me, I use them in all my recordings LOL

Can you reupload one more time please ? If you follow the steps, your test should be ok then

Thanks for your patience and persistance. We're almost there !

Sonia

knittedpiano

Post by knittedpiano » December 10th, 2017, 1:12 pm

Hello,

No, I didn't re-record, so I'm not quite sure what went wrong. I have fixed the two things you suggested, so I hope it's better now.

Thanks for your help!

~Amy

Seppukun

Post by Seppukun » December 10th, 2017, 1:25 pm

Hi Amy,

This is Corey, another newbie.

I can hear what sounds like wind-chimes. A little trick I've done in the past for recording things is to toss a thick blanket over me and my computer screen. This will help to block out any extra noise floating around the house. Think of it as a cozy pillow fort. :)

Anyhow, just an idea.

Have a good one!

-Corey

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 11th, 2017, 2:50 am

Hi again Amy

well, for some reason, now your volume has dropped below the required minimum of 86, it's only 84 dB. :hmm:

But, don't fret. I will not make you redo the test another time. You learnt about amplification now, so here would only have to insert 3 in the slot and then it would have been fine. :) No need to re-upload. I'll mark the test OK now.

The is a handy plug-in to calculate the amount by which you have to amplify or decrease your volume to get to the desired average of 89 dB.
Replay Gain plugin for Audacity: - http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=4668

1. Save the file to your computer - your desktop or somewhere where you can easily find it.
2. Now browse to the folder in which Audacity is installed. It's probably in C:\Program Files\Audacity) and then open the Plug-Ins folder.
3. Drag the file you saved into the Plug-Ins folder.
4. When next you start up Audacity, you will be able to select the whole recording (Ctrl+A on Windows), then go to Analyze | ReplayGain, and it'll tell you how much to amplify your file to get to about 89 dB.
As for the windchimes, these single noises can be easily cut out in the editing phase if they happen during the non-speaking parts of your recording. But to be on the safe-side, maybe you could take them down before your start recording ;)

All right, you're all ready to start recording for real. I hope you have fun with your first claimed section and good luck !

Sonia

knittedpiano

Post by knittedpiano » December 11th, 2017, 6:26 am

Hello,

Thank you so much for the tips!

~Amy