1 Minute Test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
wkylehoffman

Post by wkylehoffman » December 6th, 2017, 2:02 pm

Hi,
Here's the link for my test.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Libr ... teTest.mp3

I'm using a Blue Snowball into Audacity.

Thanks!

Kyle

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 8th, 2017, 1:16 am

Hello Kyle and welcome to the forum :D

good idea to begin with a one-minute test, that way we can tweak all the technical bits before you record long sections for real. :wink:

First of all, the good news is that your reading is very nice and excellent to listen to and understand :thumbs: That's the main ingredient for good audiobook narration, in my opinion, so you are naturally perfectly equipped for that.

Second though, your technical settings do not yet meet LV standard and need some adjusting. The following may look like a lot, but don't get discouraged, I only write so much to give you a step-by-step so it's easy for you to make the corrections.

Please do all the following adjustments on your current test, do not re-record, as my explanations refer to the test you just uploaded here.

1) your volume is a bit below the accepted range of 86-92 dB. Yours is at 85.2 dB. I would suggest amplifying by 3 to get as close to the perfect average of 89 as possible:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input 3 in the first slot (amplification dB)
> press ok

2) your background noise is a bit high and has been amplified in the process as well. So a round of noise-cleaning may come in handy:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file)
> go to Effect - Noise Cleaning
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Cleaning
> now select OK

3) your bitrate is 130 kbps variable, but we need 128 kbps constant. These settings are changed while you export to mp3:

> go to File / Export Audio
> open Options in the lower right corner
> select the following settings: Bit Rate Mode: Constant / Quality: 128 kbps / Channel Mode: Joint Stereo
> press Ok

You only have to adjust these settings once, Audacity will save them.

Could you do these three corrections on your test and reupload in the same thread please, so I can have a second listen ?

Thanks

Sonia