1-Minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.

Post by Nuria » December 6th, 2017, 11:00 am

Here is my one minute test: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_nuria.mp3
I use Audacity on linux with a analog microphone.
I would appreaciate, if someone would listen to this and could give me feedback.

Thank you very much,

LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 8th, 2017, 12:33 am

Hello Nuria, and welcome to our forum :)

thanks for starting with a one minute test and I can give you the good news immediately, that your test passed all the technical criteria :thumbs: so I can mark it OK straightaway.

Your reading is also very clearly understandable, so that's a good thing. :)

If I may, I'd like to give you a small advice on improving on your plosives. If you listen to your recording you will notice a sort of "blow" when you say 'p' and 'f' letters for example. This can happen if you speak too closely to the microphone or if you blow directly into it. A good method is to put the microphone not right in front of your mouth but more to the side, so that you speak alongside it and not full-frontal into it. Maybe you'd like to try that out for your next recordings.

The plosives is also something that you will learn to control over time if you record more. If you check the Audacity waves while speaking, you see when the plosives occur and you may train your speech to enhance on these. It's learning by doing basically.

On the technical side, I noticed that your DC bias is off quite a bit. It should be about -1, 0 or +1 but yours is at -29. It didn't fail the Checker test, but if it gets higher it may distort the sound. Could you check on the left side of your Audacity "wave" window, there should be two slider bars. Make sure they are centred in the middle between - and +. That often helps with DC bias.

To remove it after recording, you can do the following:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Normalize
> tick Remove DC offset and press OK

Well, that is all. As I said, nothing you need to do for your test here (unless you wish to practice and reupload), you passed it and are free to find an interesting project to start "for real". :D

Have fun on the forum

Post by Nuria » December 8th, 2017, 1:15 am

Thank you very much for advice. I'll try to incorporate you advice in my next recordings and see, if I can find in Audacity what you wrote about the DC bias for this recording. Your tips help a lot.

Post by msfry » December 8th, 2017, 8:06 am

As to plosives, it also helps if you cover your microphone head with a thin sock or in my case, just the bottom 3 inches cut out of a knee high stocking. And my microphone is at a 45 degree angle from my computer,and I speak looking at the computer, not the mike.

Have fun recording!
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects
"When you change the way you look at things, things you look at change."