1 Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
kittypryde12

Post by kittypryde12 » December 5th, 2017, 4:57 pm

Hello! I've done a 1 minute test for you. My setup is WavePad on a Samsung Galaxy 5. Please provide feedback!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_kittypryde12.mp3

Thanks, Jamie (kittypryde12)

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 8th, 2017, 12:55 am

a warm welcome from one "Kitty" to another :mrgreen:

thanks for your one-minute test. I just had a listen and your narration is very clear and easy to follow and understand. Perfect for audiobook narration.

Only one small thing to adjust is the volume, which is slightly above our accept limits of 86-92 dB. Yours comes in at 93.8 dB. So I would suggest here to decrease the volume by 3, to get close to the perfect average of 89 dB.

Do you use Audacity ? To adjust volume there, do the following:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input -3 (don't forget the minus sign !) in the first slot (amplification dB)
> press ok

Also take care of your DC bias which is off center. Usually it should be around 0 and yours is at -31. Excessive DC bias can lead to distortion of sound. To remove the bias do the following:

> go to Effect
> go to Normalize
> tick Remove DC offset and press OK

Could you do these two corrections on your previous test (don't re-record) and reupload in this thread so I can have a second listen ?

Sonia

kittypryde12

Post by kittypryde12 » December 8th, 2017, 4:27 pm

Hi Sonia! Thank you very much for your welcome and kind words.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test ... edited.mp3

Is this any better? Thank you!

Jamie

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 9th, 2017, 2:40 am

hey again Jamie

sorry now I notice that your bitrate is not according to our technical settings :( Yesterday it was correct, did you maybe re-upload with the same name first ? Then it would have overwritten the first file. :hmm:

Also your volume did not decrease but increase even more. Did you think about putting in a minus sign in front of the number ? Or did you do a new recording ? Please work on this recording now, as my numbers are calculated on that test.

> Could you please do the de-amplification once more ?

> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input -5 (let's take 5 as number this time because the volume has increased since your last test and DON'T forget the minus sign !) Put it into the first slot on top the one named "amplification dB". Don't put it into the box in the middle "new peak amplitude"
> press ok

This should bring the volume down to about 89 dB

> Your DC bias is nicely fixed though. :clap:

> now lastly, your bitrate is variable 105 kbps, but we need constant 128 kbps. This is changed while you export to mp3.

> go to File / Export Audio
> open Options in the lower right corner
> select the following settings: Bit Rate Mode: Constant / Quality: 128 kbps / Channel Mode: Joint Stereo
> press Ok

Could you re-upload with the new corrections please ? And if anything in my notes is unclear, don't hesitate to ask.

Sonia

kittypryde12

Post by kittypryde12 » December 10th, 2017, 11:01 am

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 10th, 2017, 11:30 am

"once more with feeling" --> sweet idea

and yes ! now all the required specs are met :thumbs: I can mark the test OK and you are ready to record for real :D

Have fun on the forum and hopefully you find loads of interesting projects to participate in.

Sonia

kittypryde12

Post by kittypryde12 » December 10th, 2017, 11:58 am

Thank you very much! (: