1 Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
prolit

Post by prolit » December 4th, 2017, 8:04 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_prolit.mp3

Recorded in Audacity on a PC with a USB microphone.

Let me know if there's any issues. Thanks a lot for your help!

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 7th, 2017, 3:19 am

Hi Luke and welcome to LibriVox :)

thank you for your one-minute test. I liked your interesting way of narrating this little piece. You have clear diction, which is already a good tool for audio-book narration. :thumbs:

Your technical settings are all ok so far, but your volume is far below our accepted level. We accept between 86 and 92 dB, yours only come in at 77.5 dB. Here is what you can do in Audacity to amplify:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input 10 (for this recording now) in the first slot (amplification dB)
> press ok

Unfortunately this will increase the background noise by 10 dB as well, and it was quite pronounced already before that. Can you do a round of noise-cleaning after amplification please ?

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file)
> go to Effect - Noise Cleaning
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Cleaning
> now select OK

This can also be repeated to clean it even more, but I think once is enough for your section. It would be good to search for the cause of this noise though (traffic ? refrigerator ?) and try to unplug it or otherwise muffle the noise as best you can during the recording.

Can you do these two corrections on your old file (don't re-record a new test) and post the result in this same thread so I can have a second listen ?

Sonia

prolit

Post by prolit » December 7th, 2017, 3:41 am

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_prolit2.mp3

Thank you for listening. I applied the effects and here's the new file. As far as the noise goes, I think it's my computer fan, unfortunately, so I may I just have to continue to do noise removal on my recordings. Is this okay?

-Thanks, Luke

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 7th, 2017, 4:25 am

prolit wrote:https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_prolit2.mp3
Thank you for listening. I applied the effects and here's the new file. As far as the noise goes, I think it's my computer fan, unfortunately, so I may I just have to continue to do noise removal on my recordings. Is this okay?
thank you, yes this is much better and it passes all criteria. I can mark the test OK now.

hmm the computer fan is the source ? How long is your microphone cable ? It may help to put it further away from the outlet of the fan. But the noise cleaning was quite well done in this test, so you could really leave it like that.

Ok, you're ready to roll. :) I hope you enjoy the recording process and find loads of interesting projects to participate in.

Have fun !

Sonia

prolit

Post by prolit » December 8th, 2017, 10:12 pm

Thank you very much for your help, Sonia!