1 minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
ZechariahRaman

Post by ZechariahRaman » November 29th, 2017, 1:07 am

Recording Software: Audacity
Microphone Type: USB mic? I not sure. It's a desktop mic plugged into my computer

Recording:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_zechariahraman.mp3

The volume is very low here. So I tried to process it, by amplify and then reducing noise.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_zechariahraman_processed.mp3

Looking forward to your tips!

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 29th, 2017, 7:14 am

Welcome to LibriVox, Zechariah :)

thank you for your one-minute-test. Your reading and diction is quite nice and all perfectly understandable, so on that account, you are perfectly prepared to record nice audiobook narrations :thumbs:

On the technical side, I would suggest two corrections, to make your recording sound better. I am referring to the "processed" file now, as this is the one I checked. The other, as you well noticed, is not loud enough ;)

So can you please correct the following two things on the processed (the second) file ?

1) your DC bias is off a lot. Normal would be around -1, 0 or +1, yours is at -731 :shock: So that is a lot indeed. This means the blue waves are not well centered around the middle horizontal line. Excessive DC bias can produce distorted sound, so it would be better to equalize this.

As you are using Audacity, this is quite easy. Do the following steps:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Normalize
> tick the box "Remove DC offset"
> press Ok

Also, check the two slider bars at the left of your Window (underneath MUTE/SOLO) Are these sliders well centered in the middle ? Because that may be the reason for the excessive DC bias. Try to move them to the centre.

2) your background noise is quite high. You see that optically in the big fat blue line at the end of your recording where you don't speak. This line should usually be as thin as possible ;)

To clean background noise, do the following:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (at the end of your file you have enough "pure noise" to take a sample)
> go to Effect
> go to Noise Cleaning
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Cleaning
> now select OK

You will see that the fat blue line is noticeably thinner. I think once will be enough for our purposes, but to make the sound even cleaner, you can also repeat this noise-cleaning process a second time. But don't overdo it, or you may distort the sound as well.

A good thing would be to track the source of the noise and try to minimize it. Closing windows against traffic or unplugging the air-conditioning. Stuff like that.

Could you please correct these two things and reupload in the same thread here ? Then I can have a second look. :)

If anything is still unclear, don't hesitate to ask

thanks

Sonia

ZechariahRaman

Post by ZechariahRaman » December 5th, 2017, 11:04 pm

Thanks Sonia.

I had seen the checker say something about 'DC Bias' but had no idea what it meant or how to fix it. I've now realized it's probably that my mic is faulty. Maybe I need to get a new one. I followed your direction on normalizing it.

About the background noise: That was an idle speaker I hadn't switched off. I guess my old pc's exhaust fan also added to the noise. :roll: I've done some more noise reduction to fix it.
This is a new recording, so there might be a new problem.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_zechariahraman_3.mp3

Looking forward to any new suggestions. 8-) Or the [OK]. :D

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 6th, 2017, 12:56 am

ZechariahRaman wrote:I had seen the checker say something about 'DC Bias' but had no idea what it meant or how to fix it. I've now realized it's probably that my mic is faulty. Maybe I need to get a new one. I followed your direction on normalizing it.
hmm I wouldn't know about the faulty microphone :hmm: did you check the slider bars at the left side ? Does the problem persist in every recording ? I would check these things first before investing in a new microphone. Other than that, the sound of your recording is quite good.
About the background noise: That was an idle speaker I hadn't switched off. I guess my old pc's exhaust fan also added to the noise. :roll:
ah ha, yes, these things are quite noisy :mrgreen: glad you found the source. The less you have to noice-clean artificially, the better
I've done some more noise reduction to fix it.
This is a new recording, so there might be a new problem.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_zechariahraman_3.mp3
Looking forward to any new suggestions. 8-) Or the [OK]. :D
well you may be pleased to hear then, you'll get my OK :thumbs: everything passes the criteria now and the recording sounds very good. You're ready to roll and I hope you find an interesting project to start out with.

Have fun on the forum and maybe we will meet again in one project on here :)

Sonia

ZechariahRaman

Post by ZechariahRaman » December 6th, 2017, 1:07 am

Hi Sonia, Thanks for checking.