1-minute test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.

Post by mariam13 » November 25th, 2017, 4:30 pm

my first recording. actually my voice is very low in the recording, I hope someone can give me an advice for this problem, waiting for your feedback. thanks in advance.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1-minute_test.mp3 :)

LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » November 25th, 2017, 4:49 pm

Someone will be along , but if you see this first , could you give some idea of your setup - - the software you are using , your microphone etc , so they can give targetted suggestions?

Our objective is to make all books in the public domain available, for free, in audio format on the internet. - Hugh McGuire.

Post by mariam13 » November 25th, 2017, 5:07 pm

I am using headphones in recording, my laptop is on win 10.

LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » November 27th, 2017, 2:48 pm

Hi Mariam! Welcome to Librivox! :clap: I hope you enjoy it here!

Regarding your low volume, check to see if you can increase the input volume of your microphone in the Control Panel for Sounds and Microphones. There is also a microphone slider in Audacity where the input volume is adjusted. If the settings are already maxed up, I think the only other solution is to Amplify after recording.
I think there are popping sounds in the recording (plosives). Maybe you can avoid those if you use a different angle between your mouth and the microphone, so that the air/breath does not hit the microphone directly (thus creating popping sounds).

A technical issue to fix is that the recording is in stereo, and the aim is to have it in mono. Check if you can set this in the Preferences (from menu Edit), Devices -> Recording: Channels, and choose "1 (Mono)" from the drop-down menu.

So, work on a new recoding adjusting the volume and the mono setting, and re-upload. Ask if you have any questions in the process!