* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently December 13th, 2017, 3:41 pm

Post Posted:: November 20th, 2017, 12:12 pm 

My one minute test!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1_min_test_11-20-17.mp3

Post Posted:: November 23rd, 2017, 3:30 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Welcome to LibriVox Janis :) and thank you for starting out with a one-minute-test

First of all, your reading is very pleasing to the ear. :9: You have a nice voice and you speak very clearly and not too fast. Excellent job for narrating a book. (or any text.)

Now the only things we need to work on are the technical bits. Are you using Audacity ? Well, my explanations will be based on that program, so I hope you are, to make things easier.

1) your recording is in stereo but we need it in mono. To change this, do the following:

> go to Tracks
> select Stereo Track to Mono

you will notice that the two windows merge into one, that means it's mono now.

2) the volume is not loud enough. We accept between 86 and 92 dB, yours is under 85. I would recommend amplifying this test by 4, to get as close to the average of 89 dB. Do the following step-by-steps.

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input 4 (in this case) in the first slot (amplification dB). Warning: Audacity will not let you do this, because of the initial loud "smack" that you can hear at the very beginning of the file. Before you amplify, please cut out this smack, then all will be fine.
> press ok

3) you have a variable bitrate of 123 kbps but we need a constant bitrate of 128 kbps. These settings are changed once in the exporting phase to mp3. Do the following:

> go to File / Export Audio
> open Options in the lower right corner
> select the following settings: Bit Rate Mode: Constant / Quality: 128 kbps / Channel Mode: Joint Stereo
> press Ok

And this is all. Could you please do all the changes to your old file (don't re-record, but rather try correcting this first test file), and please re-upload here in this same thread, so I can have another listen. :)

thanks

Sonia

Post Posted:: November 25th, 2017, 3:38 pm 

Thank you for your input!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1_min_test_11-20-17__take_2.mp3

Post Posted:: November 25th, 2017, 3:53 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

thank you Janis, and yes, this is a perfect recording now. I'll mark your test OK and you are free you pick up your first official claim. :D

Have fun recording !

Sonia