LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently December 12th, 2017, 6:39 pm

Post Posted:: November 18th, 2017, 9:07 pm 

Thanks for your help! I've done zero processing and welcome any suggestions for making the audio sparkle.

Software: Audacity 2.0.5
Microphone: Digital/USB on headset
Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_gunDyBGN.mp3

Thanks again!

-Nate

Post Posted:: November 18th, 2017, 9:09 pm 

And I realize I've ALREADY failed by not including five seconds after my recording ends. Crap. (kicks bucket)

-Nate

Post Posted:: November 20th, 2017, 5:35 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

hi Nate, welcome to the forum and don't worry, we do not fail tests for the simply reason that there are 5 seconds missing. The 5 seconds are a must in our official project sections, but not for the test. Here we only check your technical details.

That said, I enjoyed the history of Candyland (I didn't know this game yet, but it seems to be a success in your part of the world). Your reading is fluent and well enunciated, so it's very easy to listen to. Perfect basis for audiobook narration. :thumbs:

Only 2 things you may tweak in your test file, so we get up to LV standard.

1) the volume is not loud enough. We accept between 86 and 92, preferably as close to 89 dB as possible. Yours was below 86 dB. Please, don't re-record a new test but work on your old file, as the number to input was calculated on that one.

Here is what you can do to amplify:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input 3 (in this case) in the first slot (amplification dB)
> press ok

2) your DC bias is very high. While this would not fail your test, it's better if the recording is "centred" as it might distort the recording if the DC bias is too far off. Normal would be around -1, 0 or +1, yours by comparison is at -134 :shock:

You can easily remove the DC bias in Audacity, try the following step-by-step:

> highlight your entire recording
> go to Effect
> go to Normalise
> tick the box "Remove DC offset"
> click OK

Now please check on the left side of your recording window, the two sliders underneath Mute and Solo. Make sure they are both centered between - and +, because that's often the cause for a DC offset. Once they are centred, I would think your DC bias will be around 0 as well. You can do that for your next recordings. Once done, it should stay saved that way.

Could you please do these two corrections on your old file and reupload in this thread again, then I can have a second listen ?

Thanks

Sonia

Post Posted:: November 20th, 2017, 4:28 pm 

Thanks, Sonia! I appreciate your kind words and your help. Here's the file now with your proposed changes. Thanks once more!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_gunDyBGN_take2.mp3

Post Posted:: November 21st, 2017, 12:59 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

yes, thank you Nate, this is much better. The volume is almost 88 dB, which is excellent. The DC bias is not all down yet, but it doesn't distort the sound, so that's fine. Did you equalize the sliders at the left side ? :hmm:

I would say, your test is OK and you are ready to roll. :) The rest you'll be "learning by doing", now that you know some basic functions of Audacity.

Here's a nice little tool to help you calculate the amount you need to amplify to get your volume to 89 dB. I use it all the time on my recordings, it's quite a handy programm:

Quote:
Replay Gain plugin for Audacity: - http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=4668

1. Save the file to your computer - your desktop or somewhere where you can easily find it.
2. Now browse to the folder in which Audacity is installed. It's probably in C:\Program Files\Audacity) and then open the Plug-Ins folder.
3. Drag the file you saved into the Plug-Ins folder.
4. When next you start up Audacity, you will be able to select the whole recording (Ctrl+A on Windows), then go to Analyze | ReplayGain, and it'll tell you how much to amplify your file to get to about 89 dB.

Well, have fun on the board now and good luck with your future recordings. :)

Sonia

Post Posted:: November 21st, 2017, 5:02 pm 

Thanks, Sonia! Actually yeah my slider was completely in the middle. So weird. I'll see what future listeners/editors say about that. I've also downloaded the linked plugin - thanks so much for your help and the final OK. Looking forward to recording and seeing you around!

-Nate