One Minute Test - myleslobdell [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
MylesLobdell

Post by MylesLobdell » November 18th, 2017, 1:18 pm

This is a one minute test for user MylesLobdell.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/oneminutetest.mp3

The operating system was Windows; the software was Audacity; the recorder was logitech usb headset h340.

Comments?

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 20th, 2017, 5:08 am

hello Miles :)

I see you already did a one-minute test, so you could have posted this new version in the same thread to keep it all in one folder so to speak.

Well I listened to your new recording, nicely read, no problems there. All the tech-specs inside the norm as well.

Only one thing we need to do is amplify the whole thing, as it's below our accepted limits (86-92 dB), yours is only at 81.9 dB. Have you checked whether the slider of the microphone-icon in Audacity is all the way up to the plus sign ? This would be for maximum input volume.

Could you try amplifying this test (don't make a new test, but work on this one) ? Here is the step-by-step:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input 6 (in this case) in the first slot (amplification dB).
Warning: you need to tick the box "Allow Clipping" otherwise it won't let you amplify, as there is one higher peak at the beginning, which will clip when you amplify. Normally clipping is not recommended as it can distort the sound, but here it's only one single peak and that doesn't do much damage to the rest. ;) So you can do it once with clipping.
> press ok

Please repost the corrected test in this thread, so I get notified and can have a second look. I am sure then you are ready to roll. :)

thanks
Sonia

MylesLobdell

Post by MylesLobdell » November 20th, 2017, 2:19 pm

Hi Sonia!

How does this sound?

Thanks!

Myles

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/oneminutetest_(1).mp3

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 21st, 2017, 12:51 am

yep, bravo Myles. Now we're at a good volume of 87.4 dB :) I can mark your test OK now and you can finally start on your "real" recordings :9: Thank you for your patience, it's really worthwhile to first iron out these initial problems. From now on it will get better with each recording.

Here's a handy little plug-in for Audacity called ReplayGain. It calculates the amount by which you have to amplify to get to 89 dB. I use it all the time and it's really helpful.
Replay Gain plugin for Audacity: - http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=4668

1. Save the file to your computer - your desktop or somewhere where you can easily find it.
2. Now browse to the folder in which Audacity is installed. It's probably in C:\Program Files\Audacity) and then open the Plug-Ins folder.
3. Drag the file you saved into the Plug-Ins folder.
4. When next you start up Audacity, you will be able to select the whole recording (Ctrl+A on Windows), then go to Analyze | ReplayGain, and it'll tell you how much to amplify your file to get to about 89 dB.
Good luck and have fun. And I'll hear you soon in "The Devil is an Ass" :mrgreen:

Sonia