Hello Jacques with test file upload [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
jgaudreault

Post by jgaudreault » November 16th, 2017, 4:34 pm

Hello Librivox Test monitors. I thought I had done this correctly but it appears that I have not so I am trying again. I am new to the process so be gentle with me....lol
My test file I have uploaded using the uploader provided: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test-jacques_gaudreault-128kbps.mp3

I used Audacity software ver. 2.1.3 and my microphone is a Ohuhu BM-800 USB connection through an Interface PreSonus Audio Box USB

Regards/Thanks
Jacques

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 17th, 2017, 3:46 am

Hi Jacques and a warm welcome to our forum. Thank you for taking the time to start with a one-minute test.

I like your voice and way of reading, very easy on the ear. This is already a good basis for audio-book narration :thumbs:

Now for the technical aspects, we need to change a few things still, to make the recording up to LV standard. I'll walk you through the corrections step-by-step:

1) your recording is in Stereo, but we need it in Mono. This is easily changed in Audacity, by doing the following:

> go to Tracks
> select Stereo Track to Mono

you will see the two windows merge into one, that's Mono

2) your volume is too loud. It's at 95.7 dB and we only accept between a range of 86 and 92 dB (preferably around average of 89 dB). To decrease your volume, do this:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input -6 (in this case now) in the first slot (amplification dB) don't forget the MINUS sign !
> press ok

you will see the waves peaking way less high now. Too loud may run the risk of clipping your sound which may distort it. So better set your input volume at less loud from the beginning. You can do that by moving the slider next to the microphone icon on the top of your audacity window slightly towards the minus-sign

3) your background noise would also need a bit of cleaning maybe, but with a less loud volume input that problem may be solved immediately. But you could use the cleaning function once, to learn the ropes ;)

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file)
> go to Effect - Noise Cleaning
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Cleaning
> now select OK

Could you do these three corrections to your last recording and reupload in this thread once again, so I can have a second listen ?

thanks, and if anything is unclear still, don't hesitate to ask :)

Sonia

jgaudreault

Post by jgaudreault » November 19th, 2017, 3:47 am

Thanks Sonia on your reply. I am working on the correction you gave me. However I do have one question which I struggled a bit early on as well. In Audacity in the equalization section which profile should I choose? I chose "AM Radio" but only because another Utube presenter suggested it and that it was what he used.

Thanks
Jacques

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 19th, 2017, 6:15 am

jgaudreault wrote:I do have one question which I struggled a bit early on as well. In Audacity in the equalization section which profile should I choose? I chose "AM Radio" but only because another Utube presenter suggested it and that it was what he used.
:hmm: you beat me there a bit...I never use the Equalization function, so mine is never set to anything there. For the purpose of cleaning your file you don't need this function anyway.

To know more about Equalization, I suggest you post this question in the Help subforum: viewforum.php?f=23
Just start a new thread there with Equalization in the title, to attract the right people. There will be more tech-savvy people answering you than me. :? Sorry I can't be of more help there, but for my purposes in recording, the Equalization never played a role.

Sonia

jgaudreault

Post by jgaudreault » November 20th, 2017, 5:38 pm

Please find the corrected test files as suggested plus an additional test file I just created.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test-jacques_gaudreault-Mono-Corrected.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1_minute_test_after_email_01e_jg.mp3

Many thanks
Jacques

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 21st, 2017, 1:08 am

hi Jacques and thanks for your second test. Let's say, I will disregard the first one ;) because you still had a variable bitrate in that one. But I checked the last one (after the email) and this passes all criteria. So whoever sent you that email, it definitely helped and this test is officially OK now.

Now I hope you find plenty of interesting projects to participate in :) Good luck.

Oh and I merged this thread with your old one, to keep it all in the same folder, so to speak. ;)

Sonia

jgaudreault

Post by jgaudreault » November 21st, 2017, 2:47 am

GREAT many thanks....now to see what I can do....

Jacques