One Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
empendle

Post by empendle » November 16th, 2017, 2:25 pm

Hello lovely people of Librovox,

Here is my one minute test. My specifications are as follows; I have a AKG P220 microphone, I used Audacity for the editing software, and I have windows 10.
I'm pretty new to recording in general and just okay with technical stuff. I would appreciate any feedback on how to make my recordings better. Thanks for Listening!

Sincerely,

The new guy :help:

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_empendle.mp3

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 17th, 2017, 3:20 am

Hello Emma (did I hear your name correctly ?) welcome to Librivox and thanks for starting with a one-minute test.

Your reading is very nice and well articulated, even though a bit on the soft side ;) but it's still inside our lower accepted limit of volume, so this is ok. If you could boost the recording input of your microphone a little bit, that would be even better. Check for example in Audacity if the slider next to the microphone icon is all the way up to the plus sign.

There are only two things that need tweaking to pass this test.

1) you have a very high level of background noise, especially noticeable because your reading was so soft. The best thing would be to track the source of this noise and try to eliminate it before recording. Maybe closing the window against traffic or turning of a fan, or things like that.

For now, in Audacity you have a good noise-cleaning function. Could you apply the following step-by-step please on your test recording:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file where you don't speak, here I chose around the 34 second mark)
> go to Effect - Noise Cleaning
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Cleaning
> now select OK

This should bring the noise down to an acceptable level.

2) one technical setting is wrong: your bitrate is 97 kbps variable, but we need 128 kbps constant. You change these settings once while you export to mp3.

> go to File / Export Audio
> open Options in the lower right corner
> select the following settings: Bit Rate Mode: Constant / Quality: 128 kbps / Channel Mode: Joint Stereo
> press Ok

And that's it. These settings should remain saved now unless you change them manually.

Could you please reupload your corrected file once more in this thread so I can have another look at it ?

Sonia

empendle

Post by empendle » November 28th, 2017, 10:03 am

Okay, I think I have all my ducks in a row. They do tend to wander off. Thank you for your excellent feedback and clear instructions. Let me know if there is anything else I should do on this. Emma actually was my name in my Russian class in high school but my name is Emily(no worries though).

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_empendle_noisereduction.mp3

Have a lovely day!

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 28th, 2017, 10:12 am

oh you learnt Russian in school, interesting. I learnt it a bit at home in self-study, it's a wonderful language. (not that I know much, but I get by LOL)

your test is ok like this, although to make it perfect, you could have done one more repeat of the noise-cleaning. Also, your volume is a bit below our required limits of 86-92 dB. I think your previous test was just inside the limit, but now with the noise reduced, the general volume went down, so now you only reach 85.1 dB.

Changing volume in Audacity is easy:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input 3 (in your case this would have been enough) in the first slot (amplification dB)
> press ok

There is a very handy plug-in to calculate the amount you need to amplify to get to the good average of 89 dB. Maybe you can download it for further use.
Replay Gain plugin for Audacity: - http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=4668

1. Save the file to your computer - your desktop or somewhere where you can easily find it.
2. Now browse to the folder in which Audacity is installed. It's probably in C:\Program Files\Audacity) and then open the Plug-Ins folder.
3. Drag the file you saved into the Plug-Ins folder.
4. When next you start up Audacity, you will be able to select the whole recording (Ctrl+A on Windows), then go to Analyze | ReplayGain, and it'll tell you how much to amplify your file to get to about 89 dB.
I will mark your test OK though, but if you wish to practice a bit more, you can do this amplification and noise-cleaning and re-upload one final time :) Or at least keep it in mind for your future "real" recordings.

Wishing you all the best on the forum, enjoy you first recording ! :D And good luck.

Sonia