1 Minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
SPly

Post by SPly » November 15th, 2017, 9:23 am

I am a newbie, so please bear with my terrible recording.
this is my one-minute test, I had some technical issues, so I will appreciate any info you can give!
Thanks

my recording software is audacity; my pc is a windows 10; my mic is an external dock non-noise-canceling Sony

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_SPly.mp3

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 15th, 2017, 9:46 am

hi Sarah, welcome to the forum. :)

don't worry, we have all started at one point, and the initial problems usually get solved and it gets easier with each recording. That said, I don't find your test file "terrible". In fact, you have a nice voice to listen to, you speak fluently, well articulated and not too fast. For me as listener, that's easy to follow, so it's a good basis for audiobook narration.

Now to the technical aspects. There we need to tweak a bit to make it up to LibriVox standard. Now don't get a shock that I write so much, but I try to be as precise as possible, since I don't know what your level of technical knowledge is. I prefer to write up more than not enough info ;)

ok here is what we need to correct still:

1) your recording is in stereo, but we need mono. I hope you are using Audacity, this is how to change it:

> go to Tracks
> select Stereo track to Mono (your two "windows" will merge into one)

2) your DC bias is quite high. Normal would be around 0, yours is at -69. Check the sliders on the left side of the window (underneath MUTE / SOLO) Are they well centered in the middle or more to one side ? That could be the reason. Try to center them. To remove the DC bias for this recording, do the following:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Normalize
> tick Remove DC offset and press OK

3) the volume is not loud enough. We accept recordings between 86 and 92 dB, with a preferred average of 89. Yours is at 81 at the moment, so we need to amplify. Very easy in Audacity.

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input 7 (in your case now) in the first slot (amplification dB)
> press ok

4) and last but not least, your background noise is quite disturbing. Try to track the source, maybe traffic or electrical appliances running and try turning them off while recording, or closing the window, or moving to the quietest room in your house ;)

to noise clean in Audacity, here is the step-by-step:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file)
> go to Effect - Noise Cleaning
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Cleaning
> now select OK

As your noise is quite loud, I would recommend to repeat this process ONCE again to make sure the sound is cleaner.

Ok that is all, now you got the full intro tutorial LOL Could you please do all these step-by-steps in this order ? And please, very important: work on your old file, the one you just sent me, as all my calculations are based on that one. Do not re-record a new test, which will be a totally new case again to handle.

If there are still questions don't hesitate to ask :) Please reupload the corrected file in the same thread so I can have a second listen.

Thanks

Sonia

SPly

Post by SPly » November 15th, 2017, 10:39 am

Thank you so much for the input! I will work on it, and hopefully have it ready in a couple days. (my schedule is packed)
:)

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 15th, 2017, 11:25 am

no worries, take your time. I'll be here :)

Sonia

SPly

Post by SPly » November 15th, 2017, 11:29 am

Nevermind the couple days thing.
Thank you so much for the info, it really helped.

I finished it. I have one question though, it seems to loud now. Is that accurate?

Thanks again!

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 15th, 2017, 11:33 am

wonderful ! it's in Mono now, the DC bias is gone, the background noise is almost non-existent.

But the volume is still not loud enough. Do you think this is loud ? :hmm: It's only 83 dB. Did you amplify by 7 like I told you ? Well can you work on this latest file now, and amplify it by 5 once more and reupload please ? THEN it should be loud enough :mrgreen:

let's try one more time. Nothing else needs to be changed, just amplify this file by 5

thanks

Sonia

SPly

Post by SPly » November 15th, 2017, 11:35 am

will do.
I did amplify it by 7, but I will amplify it again.

SPly

Post by SPly » November 15th, 2017, 11:39 am

here it is Sonia

So if this sounds good will I be ready to try recording books. (I learned a lot from this)

Qqwerty659

Post by Qqwerty659 » November 15th, 2017, 11:41 am

SPly wrote:here it is Sonia

So if this sounds good will I be ready to try recording books. (I learned a lot from this)
i need feedback i am not the person who approves the 1 minute test sorry

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 15th, 2017, 11:43 am

SPly wrote:will do.
I did amplify it by 7, but I will amplify it again.
Stop !!! I think you may be right. I downloaded the file once more and this time it shows 88 dB. So all is well. Maybe when I downloaded the first time it had not finished uploading.

So ok, you're good to go. I'll mark your test OK and you had plenty of practice with Audacity's basic functions now. You are well prepared to tackle your first LV project. Have fun !!! :)

Sonia

SPly

Post by SPly » November 15th, 2017, 11:45 am

yeah, I was talking to the other person on this topic.
I would be very interested in listening to yours, if you don't mind.
I am not a feedback giver, but I would love to see what you have done!

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 15th, 2017, 11:46 am

Qqwerty659 wrote:this is my one minute test need feedback
https://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddragon/test.mp3
hello, usually each new reader has to start a new thread for the one minute test and not "highjack" another one's :wink: I'll split your thread into a new one now, so there will be no confusion.

Sonia

SPly

Post by SPly » November 15th, 2017, 11:47 am

OOps I did amplify it by 5 already, should i amplify it by -5?

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 15th, 2017, 11:49 am

SPly wrote:OOps I did amplify it by 5 already, should i amplify it by -5?
no it's ok now. The test is just to check whether you know how to do it. You do know that by now. :) I gave you my OK and you are ready to roll :) Have fun !

Qqwerty659: your own thread is now here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=68191

Sonia

SPly

Post by SPly » November 15th, 2017, 11:52 am

Thank you so much!
You really helped me understand how this works.
I hope to work with you again.

bye

:D