LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently December 11th, 2017, 1:46 pm

Post Posted:: November 13th, 2017, 9:54 am 

Hi, I'm Kassiopia DeVora and I'm new to Librivox. I'm posting my one minute test and I hope that it's gone well.

I'm recording with Audactiy on a PC, with a Samson CO1U - Stuidio Condenser Mike, using the Levelator program for mastering and the Normalize effect on Audacity.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1_minute_test_kassiopiadevora.mp3

Please let me know what you think. Thank You!

Post Posted:: November 13th, 2017, 11:42 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Hello and welcome to the forum, Kassiopia (nice mythological name :9: )

your reading is totally agreeable, you have a forceful voice and clear enunciation. Very good basic material for audiobook narration :thumbs:

there is only one technical bit we need to correct in your file and that is the bit-rate. Yours is 101 kbps variable, but we need 128 kbps constant.

This is changed while exporting to mp3 in Audacity.

> go to File / Export Audio
> click on Options in the lower corner
> select: Bit rate mode: Constant / Quality: 128 kbps / Channel Mode: Joint Stereo

that's it. Could you reupload once again in this thread so I can have a second look please ? For the rest it should be fine. I detected a bit of background noise, but it's not that disturbing, and it passed the checker test, so this is good. Maybe it would be good to track the source of the noise and try to do something against it. May be as easy as closing the window against traffic ;)

Sonia

Post Posted:: November 13th, 2017, 7:30 pm 

Hi Sonia,

Thank you so much for taking the time to listen to my audio! I went ahead and changed the bit-rate of the recording (it's all new to me). Thanks for being patient. As far as the background noise is concerned, I have some blackout curtains that I can pull against the window. That may change the room tone a bit. Give the new version a listen.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1_minute_test_kassiopiadevora_-_2.mp3

Thanks again!

- Kasssiopia

Post Posted:: November 14th, 2017, 1:14 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

excellent, thank you. The bitrate is correctly adjusted now. These settings should not be fiddled with anymore ;) Audacity will save them until you manually change them.

The blackout curtains may indeed help. In any case, the noise was less pronounced this time. Good job.

Now I'll mark your test OK and wish you good luck and loads of fun on the forum and may you have plenty of interesting projects you want to participate it. :9:

Sonia

Post Posted:: November 14th, 2017, 6:58 am 

Thank, Sonia! I really appreciate your assistance. I'm excited to begin working!

Best Regards,

Kassiopia