LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently December 11th, 2017, 1:59 pm

Post Posted:: November 12th, 2017, 9:08 am 

Hello,

Just submitted my 1 minute test & looking forward to feedback. I am using Audacity on Windows 7 & a USB desktop mic.

Many thanks

Tony

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_tonyapr.mp3

Post Posted:: November 12th, 2017, 1:07 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi Tony and welcome to LibriVox :)

first of all, a personal compliment...I absolutely adore your accent :9: North of England, right ? I wish I could speak like that. And also apart from the accent, your reading is absolutely nice and clearly understandable. Very good for narratives. You'll do great here.

Your technical specifications are all correct as far as I can see. The only thing I would suggest for your recording is a bit of background noise-cleaning. You are using Audacity, so it's very easy, here is the step-by-step:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of the recording)
> go to Effect
> go to Noise Cleaning
> select Get Noise Profile
> now highlight the entire recording
> again Effect and Noise Cleaning
> now select OK

Could you try this on your test and reupload, so I can have a second listen ? I'm sure all will be perfect then.

Thanks

Sonia

Post Posted:: November 12th, 2017, 1:44 pm 

Hi Sonia,
Thanks for the welcome & kind words. Yes you are right, Yorkshire born & bred! I was guessing it would stand out, glad you like it. :D

Thanks for the feedback, I have done that & uploaded again:

Regards

Tony

Post Posted:: November 12th, 2017, 1:54 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Yorkshire...yes, I wasn't bad at accent guessing then :mrgreen:

as to your file, did you record a completely new test now ? Because this one is way below our accepted volume while the last one was bang in the middle of 89 dB. This one is only 83 dB. We need at least 86, and maximum 92 dB. The noise-cleaning process I mentioned should not have had a de-amplifying effect like that :hmm:

Well, that way I can show you the Amplify function as well :) could you work on this file now please and not re-record a third version ?

1) highlight your recording
2) go to Effect in the menu bar
3) go to Amplify
4) input 3 in the first slot (amplification dB)
5) press ok

Could you reupload it one last time please ?

thanks

Sonia

Post Posted:: November 12th, 2017, 11:47 pm 

Hi Sonia,

Interesting, I did not record a new test, but had been watching a tutorial on Audacity and worked on a different file, wonder if that had changed any settings?

Anyway, I have amplified the clip as you asked & uploaded:

Many thanks

Tony

Post Posted:: November 12th, 2017, 11:57 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

:hmm: what do you mean you worked on a different file ? If you didn't re-record, it should have been the same file.

Well, be this as it may... this is now at 90 dB and absolutely acceptable in volume. Also the noise has been lessened. :thumbs:

I'll give you the OK now and you can go out and record "for real" :mrgreen: Hopefully you find some interesting projects to start out with.

We have loads on offer for any taste: poetry, novels, non-fiction or drama. You're spoilt for choice.

Good luck and have fun ! :)

Sonia

Post Posted:: November 13th, 2017, 3:27 am 

I had recorded a different clip and was trying out noise reduction, compression & amplification as per the tutorial so I wondered if this affected my original Test clip when I opened it?

Anyway I'll make sure I use the testing program before I upload any future clips.

Really looking forward to some projects! :D

Thanks again for your help & feedback :thumbs:

Tony

Post Posted:: November 13th, 2017, 3:33 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

TonyAPR wrote:
I had recorded a different clip and was trying out noise reduction, compression & amplification as per the tutorial so I wondered if this affected my original Test clip when I opened it?

:hmm: no, normally one file shouldn't affect the other. I am often working on some recordings straight in a row, and the one never affects the other. Strange.

Well, always save all your files in Audacity, until the project it finished. Nothing gets lost then and you always can go back to your original recording if you need to rework a file.

Sonia