LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently December 11th, 2017, 7:34 pm

Post Posted:: November 9th, 2017, 5:41 pm 

Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_lisagoad.mp3

Software: Audacity
Hardware Specs: Studio Z Mic Model: DM-38 (Dynamic Microphone)

Post Posted:: November 11th, 2017, 12:46 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Welcome!

It sounds pretty good. The volume is OK; it's on the low side of OK, so don't get any quieter. Actually, you may want to bump your mic slider up 1/2 to 1 notch anyway.

A couple of things to fix:

1. You have a lot of background noise.

First, try turning off any extra nearby equipment that you don't need - printers, fans, fluorescent lights, etc. Make sure your microphone cord is not lying next to any other cords. If you've got a USB microphone, plug it into a port that has nothing plugged in beside it. If you're using a laptop, try running on battery power instead of being plugged in. See if those things help. Try to eliminate as much noise at its source as you can, before it gets to the microphone. Imagine dead silence (totally dead), then listen to your recording area and figure out what is making sounds that your mic is picking up.

If you have the mic sitting directly on a hard surface, it might be picking up vibrations. Put a folded towel or piece of foam under the mic stand to absorb these.

-- After trying to eliminate noise at its source, you can use noise reduction to take care of some of it. Here are a couple resources:
text instructions: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noisecleaning_With_Pics
video, but with an older version of Audacity so the settings are different: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFSg9o37HMw

My settings are as follows:
Noise reduction: 10-16
Sensitivity: 6
Frequency Smoothing: 6

2. Bit rate is variable; it needs to be 128 constant. This is set when you export to MP3. When you go to export, on the screen where you enter the file name for the MP3, change the Bit Rate mode to Constant, and the quality should be 128 kbps. You should only have to set it once; it'll remember the setting until you change it again.

Try making these adjustments, then post another test. Use the same file name as your previous one, and post in this same thread when it's ready. :)

Post Posted:: November 17th, 2017, 10:54 am 

Hello!
Thank you for your feedback and tips. I have made the corrections and have uploaded my test just now.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_lisagoad.mp3

Thanks!
Lisa :)

Post Posted:: November 17th, 2017, 11:33 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Hmmm. Your volume is really low now.

When you did the noise removal, the first step where you get the noise profile, did you highlight part of the recording with your voice in it? That makes the program thinks your voice is noise and reduces it along with the real noise. Try highlighting a couple seconds where you're not speaking, and use that.

Post Posted:: November 17th, 2017, 11:37 am 

After the recording you just heard I was recording a second one and had uploaded it. So I 'm sorry I didn't reply to you as quickly as you were able to hear it.

Please see if this one was louder?

Post Posted:: November 17th, 2017, 11:38 am 

oh?! yes i did sample with my voice! I will correct that and reupload again.

sorry!

Post Posted:: November 17th, 2017, 12:03 pm 

Ok this time when i got the profile i did not use my voice in the sample.
I also adjust the mic volume uplouder.

I hope this one is right on the money! :)

lisa

Post Posted:: November 17th, 2017, 12:15 pm 

ok last reply. I think I figured out the volume of my voice issue. I am not projecting it.
This sample i am uploading now will have the projected voice.
lisa

Post Posted:: November 17th, 2017, 12:22 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

I'm not sure what you mean by "projecting your voice". If you're simply speaking louder such that your voice is going to tire out sooner, that's probably not the solution. :)

However, the volume on this last one is good. But the background noise is louder, too. :hmm:

There's still a lot of background noise. Maybe this video will help explain noise removal better? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFSg9o37HMw

Post Posted:: November 17th, 2017, 12:47 pm 

I actually wasn't speaking louder (projecting: taking in more air and using your diaphragm to push the sound out).

Ok after watching the video i believe that I had the last setting wrong (which took the fuzzy lines out of the silence area of the wave form). I applied this to the whole recording after sampling just the silence area as the video indicated.

My audacity doesn't have a filter (effect) called Noise removal ..it says noise reduction (i have no idea why) and the options for settings are not the same as the video or the text link you provided.

So using Noise reduction
and setting my settings to this I was able to make the background noise to smooth lines
Noise reduction 15
Sensitivity: 160
Frequency smoothing: 0

I do not have a box that says attack/decay as indicated in the text/video. I have only the 3 boxes listed as noise reduction/sensitivity/frequency smoothing.

So I have uploaded this sampling with the adjustments i have stated here.

Lisa :)

Post Posted:: November 17th, 2017, 12:55 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Ah! Much better!

I do notice some difference in sound quality in your voice. When you're removing so much noise, it's going to remove some of the voice, too, only because some of the voice is in the same frequency range as the noise.

In future, when you have leisure, I'd recommend trying to figure out what is making so much noise in your recording area and work to reduce it. But for now, with the settings you've used, your setup is OK to use on recordings. So go forth and record! 8-)

Post Posted:: November 17th, 2017, 1:13 pm 

yay!!

And yes i will work on that. It could be the acoustics in the room, all the way to the mixer I am using to bring in the microphone into the laptop. So I will start working through all of that.

Thank you for your help! :)

Lisa