LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently December 11th, 2017, 7:21 pm

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post Posted:: November 13th, 2017, 11:53 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

ok there is something wrong here. I think we are talking past each other. Now this file is at 105 dB. If you had amplified the file I meant by 6, like I said, it would have been fine. I don't know why it's now amplified by 20 instead of 6. :shock:

I am sorry, but what I could suggest is that we start from scratch. Because only that way can we talk about the same file. Delete ALL the tests you did so far and re-record this Peter Piper sentence. Name it test_flowerpower_new1, for example.

> I'll give you a helpful tool named ReplayGain, to check your volume before exporting:

Quote:
The easiest way is to install an extra plugin in Audacity that will tell you by how much the recording needs to be amplified to reach the desired volume of 89 dB.
Replay Gain plugin for Audacity: - http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=4668

1. Save the file to your computer - your desktop or somewhere where you can easily find it.
2. Now browse to the folder in which Audacity is installed. It's probably in C:\Program Files\Audacity) and then open the Plug-Ins folder.
3. Drag the file you saved into the Plug-Ins folder.
4. When next you start up Audacity, you will be able to select the whole recording (Ctrl+A on Windows), then go to Analyze | ReplayGain, and it'll tell you how much to amplify your file to get to about 89 dB.

this should help you to know by how much you need to amplify or decrease your volume to get to 89 dB. Try it out before you export.

> Another helpful tool is Checker, you can use that to check your finished mp3 file and it will tell you if there are issues still.

http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker

Let's try anew, if this can help you. :)

Sonia

Post Posted:: November 13th, 2017, 12:01 pm 

Thanks so much! I knew it was higher. I don't know why when I put 6 in, it got that much higher! :( I will delete all the tests and start anew.

Post Posted:: November 13th, 2017, 12:02 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

yes this is also puzzling to me. But let's not lose our calm here. We will get there in the end. I still have time. We'll sort it out. :) At least it will give valuable practice before the real recording.

Sonia

Post Posted:: November 14th, 2017, 1:59 pm 

So I used the checker app and it does fall outside the range. When I put 6 in the amplification db box, somehow it doesn't save. When I move the mouse to try to amplify it, the ok box starts to go gray. What does that mean?

Yasmin

Post Posted:: November 14th, 2017, 2:19 pm 

Ok, so this passed Checker. I hope this is a lot better.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_amplified2flowerpower91.mp3

Yasmin

Post Posted:: November 14th, 2017, 3:13 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

flowerpower91 wrote:
So I used the checker app and it does fall outside the range. When I put 6 in the amplification db box, somehow it doesn't save. When I move the mouse to try to amplify it, the ok box starts to go gray. What does that mean?

this happens when some peaks are too high, so if you try to amplify all your text those peaks will "clip", be cut off and this may create distortion. You can tick the box "allow clipping" if it's only a matter of one single peak or two. But if it's too many, it's not recommendable. Those high peaks need to be decreased manually then first.

But for this purpose, you managed to get to a good volume of 88 dB. The background noise is still a bit noticeable, but it passes the checker.

I think you have had training enough now. You know the basic tools to clean up your recording and get to a good volume. Your technical settings are accurate now. And with Checker and Replay Gain you have two great tools to check before uploading whether your file will pass muster. Now you only need practice in the field to use all this gained knowledge. 8-)

I will mark your test OK now and you can record for real. :) You will see, with each recording you will be getting a little bit better and more used to the process.

I would recommend starting with a short section though, maybe a poem or something. It's way easier to practice on a two-minute poem than record a 50-minute chapter from a novel for a beginner. But most of all, I hope you find something interesting and wish you good luck.

If there are still questions, never hesitate to ask. There's always someone around that is bound to know an answer.

Have fun with your first recording !

Sonia