prueba de lectura - reading test recording

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
vlax

Post by vlax » November 3rd, 2017, 7:57 pm

reading in spanish / leyendo en español

Hardware : SONY ICD-PX440
Software : Audacity - Devuan GNU/Linux

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_vlax_.mp3

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 4th, 2017, 12:56 pm

Olà Vlax, welcome to the Forum

sorry I don't speak Spanish, although I manage to understand most of it. So I hope your English is better than my Spanish.

Just listened to your test and your voice is really nice to listen to, sounds very fluent. You seem at easy with recording, which is already a good thing for our purposes :mrgreen:

All the technical settings are up to standard as well, so nothing to change there.

The only thing I would suggest doing is a bit of background noise cleaning. Here is an easy step-by-step for Audacity:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file)
> go to Effect - Noise Cleaning
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Cleaning
> now select OK

Could you try that on your recording and reupload one more time please in this same thread ? I'm quite confident then it passes all criteria and you can start "for real".

Thank you

Sonia

vlax

Post by vlax » November 8th, 2017, 7:31 pm

hey Sonia
Kitty wrote: Just listened to your test and your voice is really nice to listen to, sounds very fluent. You seem at easy with recording, which is already a good thing for our purposes :mrgreen:
(...)
The only thing I would suggest doing is a bit of background noise cleaning.
done -> https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_vlax-01a.mp3

btw, the Noise Cleaning wiki page is a great technical resource

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 9th, 2017, 1:49 am

thank you, yes, this test is much easier on the ear, and nicely cleaned up. :thumbs:

However, now we have another problem with the volume. Maybe I should have mentioned it the first time around, your volume was at 91.9 dB, which was just inside our acceptable limit. We accept between 86 and 92, with a preferred average of 89 dB.

Now your second test has exceeded the volume, it's at 94.4 dB. Time to learn about "amplification/reduction". Very easy in Audacity:

1) highlight your entire recording
2) go to Effect / Amplify
3) in your case here: input -4 (don't forget the Minus sign !) in the first slot (amplification dB)
4) press ok

Now your recording should be at 90.1 dB, which is nicely in the middle or the acceptable range. :)

Can you try this one final time please ? Don't re-record, just do the step-by-step on your last test. My numbers were calculated on that one.

To check your volume yourself after recording, we have a nice little plug-in for Audacity, very easy to use and it tells you by how much you need to amplify or reduce the volume to get to the average of 89 dB:
Replay Gain plugin for Audacity: - http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=4668

1. Save the file to your computer - your desktop or somewhere where you can easily find it.
2. Now browse to the folder in which Audacity is installed. It's probably in C:\Program Files\Audacity) and then open the Plug-Ins folder.
3. Drag the file you saved into the Plug-Ins folder.
4. When next you start up Audacity, you will be able to select the whole recording (Ctrl+A on Windows), then go to Analyze | ReplayGain, and it'll tell you how much to amplify your file to get to about 89 dB.
I use it all the time, it's a very helpful tool. :9:

Sonia