LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently December 13th, 2017, 7:59 am

Post Posted:: October 11th, 2017, 9:19 am 

Here is the link for my one minute recording - https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/text_NishthaRocks.mp3

Can someone please listen and give me feedback? :help:

Thanks!
Nishtha

Post Posted:: October 12th, 2017, 5:38 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Hello and welcome Nishtha :)

you have an incredibly young and sweet voice :D and you sound so very enthusiastic in your reading, which is a good thing. I predict you will have a lot of fun on the forum if you enjoy recording so much.

Just one word of caution for further recordings: do not start speaking as soon as you press "record", because sometimes the program needs a bit of time to kick in. If you listen back to your test, you will notice that it did not pick up the initial syllable of "people". It starts with "ple were pleased...". ;) That's why we always suggest leaving at least half a second of blank noise at the beginning before we start speaking.

Before I can give you the ok to your test though, we need to correct the technical settings.

1) your recording is in Stereo but we need it in Mono

I hope you are using Audacity, as it's very easy to change it in there.

> go to "Tracks" in the upper tool bar
> select "Stereo track to Mono"

you will see the two windows merge into one, that's Mono.

2) your bit-rate is at ~126 kbps variable, but we need it at 128 kbps constant

> go to "File" in the upper tool bar
> select "Export Audio"
> click on "Options" in the lower right corner
> select: Bit rate mode: Constant / Quality: 128 kbps / Channel mode: Joint stereo
> press Ok

from now on these settings should stay the same in Audacity. So you only need to do this once.

Could you try to change those two technical bits and reupload in the same thread so I can have a second look ?

Thanks

Sonia :)

Post Posted:: October 14th, 2017, 1:55 am 

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Another_1_minute_recording.mp3

This is the second test I did after correcting what you said. :D

This amounts to more then one minute but I thought you would be interested in hearing the rest of the story. :wink:

I'm so happy to be able to contribute to the recording the audio books I love listening to.
I'm practically on cloud nine. :9:

Post Posted:: October 14th, 2017, 2:31 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

thank you Nishtha for this interesting text. And I realize you read very emphatically and "in character". So you may be interested in joining our drama readings later on as well. :9: Different people read different characters, just like in real theater, only nobody is watching LOL

ok, back to your test. This one is indeed in Mono and the bitrate is correct. Unfortunately now the background noise is much higher in this one :( did you record in another room or was anything different ? Because your last test was really good, practically no noise, while here it's very distracting. If possible, record in the other room ;)

Well, this gives me opportunity to tell you about noise cleaning and amplification in audacity. Two things most of us here on the forum need all the time.

Could you do these two step by step and reupload one final time ? I am sure then it will pass the test.

) Volume adjustment: You volume is a bit over our accepted limit. We accept between 86 and 92 dB, preferably as close to 89 as possible. Yours is at 92.1 dB. So we need to reduce the volume. This is how you do it:

> highlight the entire track
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input -3.3 (don't forget the MINUS sign) into the first slot “Amplification (dB):”
> press OK

now please don't re-record a new test, work on this one, because my suggestions refer to this test, they may be different for other recordings.

2) Noise cleaning: this function will reduce the background noise

> highlight a small portion of the noise. This is why we usually should leave a few seconds of only room noise at the end of our recording, but you don't have that here. For my purpose I suggest take the few milliseconds just before the 0:07 mark, where you don't speak
> go to Effect
> got to Noise reduction
> first press “Get Noise Profile”
> then highlight the ENTIRE recording
> go again to Effect
> then again Noise Reduction
> and this time press OK

If this is not enough one can repeat the process, but I think for your test it is enough to do it once.

Can you please do these two corrections and re-upload again ? I'll have another listen and if you follow the step by step, you should pass the test then. :)

good luck and thanks for being patient. Once we have sorted this initial bit out, it will become easier with each recording, don't worry.

Sonia

Post Posted:: October 14th, 2017, 2:55 am 

Sorry about the noise. :cry:

The fan was on and my little brother was in the room (big source of background sound right there) :roll:
LOL

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/another_one_minute_recording_(with_changes).mp3

This is the link to my third test (sigh)

Post Posted:: October 14th, 2017, 3:00 am 

I don't understand why half my link isn't coming! :(

Here it is again.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/another_one_minute_recording_(with_changes).mp3

Post Posted:: October 14th, 2017, 3:02 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

NishthaRocks wrote:
I don't understand why half my link isn't coming! :(

Here it is again.

it's because you made ( ) they break the link. Don't use brackets in links

Sonia

Post Posted:: October 14th, 2017, 3:04 am 

Oh. now what do I do?

Post Posted:: October 14th, 2017, 3:04 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

NishthaRocks wrote:
Sorry about the noise. :cry:
The fan was on and my little brother was in the room (big source of background sound right there) :roll:
LOL

yes better turn off the fan while recording. And close windows in case the traffic is too loud ;) Or use a room at the back of the house, if you can.

Sonia

Post Posted:: October 14th, 2017, 3:05 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

NishthaRocks wrote:
Oh. now what do I do?

re-name your file without brackets and reupload. For example test_nishtha is totally fine

Sonia

Post Posted:: October 14th, 2017, 3:07 am 

Thanks. Working on it.

Post Posted:: October 14th, 2017, 3:08 am 

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/another_one_minute_recording_with_changes.mp3

This is the link to the third test (triple sigh)

Post Posted:: October 14th, 2017, 3:10 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

NishthaRocks wrote:

ok, now it works

Sonia

Post Posted:: October 14th, 2017, 3:17 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

all right, I had another check. The background noise is much better now. And if you take care that the fan is off (and the brother out of the room :mrgreen: ) your future recordings will be less noisy, I'm sure.

Only other thing, now the recording is just below our limit (85.8 dB) But don't worry, I will not make you re-do it another time LOL Amplifying is just the same way than decreasing volume, only with a + sign instead of a - sign.

I would suggest you download this handy plug-in for Audacity. It calculates exactly by how much you need to amplify your recordings to get to a good average of 89 dB. :) I use it ALL THE TIME. :9:

Quote:
Replay Gain plugin for Audacity: - http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=4668

1. Save the file to your computer - your desktop or somewhere where you can easily find it.
2. Now browse to the folder in which Audacity is installed. It's probably in C:\Program Files\Audacity) and then open the Plug-Ins folder.
3. Drag the file you saved into the Plug-Ins folder.
4. When next you start up Audacity, you will be able to select the whole recording (Ctrl+A on Windows), then go to Analyze | ReplayGain, and it'll tell you how much to amplify your file to get to about 89 dB.

All right, I'll give you an OK on your test now. You have waited long enough and I notice you have worked well on the step by steps. The rest you will all figure out by and by, learning by doing. :)

Have fun recording your favourite books !!!! And if you still have questions, you can always ask here or in the help forum. Somebody is always around and we are all very friendly and helpful.

Good luck !

Sonia

Post Posted:: October 14th, 2017, 3:59 am 

Thanks so much for putting up with me and not making me redo it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LOL!