LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently December 14th, 2017, 7:36 pm

Post Posted:: October 6th, 2017, 11:00 am 

Hello!

Here's my first test recording. I've tried to follow the all the instructions so I hope it is as specified.

Recorded on a Windows 10 PC, using Audacity, with a Sontronics SE X1 condenser mic, and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 pre-amp.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_jimsvox4.mp3

Thanks
Jim

Post Posted:: October 8th, 2017, 8:45 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Hello Jim, welcome to LibriVox and thank you for a great initial one minute test :thumbs:

I highly enjoyed listening to your soothing voice narrating this text (which I have heard soooo many times already, sigh). But you made it interesting again with an expressive way of reading and emphasizing. :9: I need to say this right away, I'm in high hopes I can win you over to our drama forum ! You would fit right in there from what I have heard just now. So if stage plays are your thing, please have a look over at the subforum for dramatic readings.

Btw I had a total déjà vu moment just now. Your voice sounded very familiar to me but I can't really grasp where I heard it before. There might be another LibriVox reader who is your vocal twin on here. :hmm: Probably one day I will listen to him again and will know who it was.

Anyway, back to your recording... your technical settings are all top notch LV requirements. :thumbs: The background noise nicely cleaned away, or you had a really quiet room to record in.

There is only one single issue which is not 100% LV standard and that is the volume. Your volume of 85.2 dB is just a tiny bit below our required minimum of 86. We accept between 86 and 92, with preferred average of 89 dB.

Luckily on Audacity you can easily raise the volume. Try the following steps:

> highlight your entire recording
> go to Effect - Amplify
> input let's say 3 in the slot and press OK

then your volume will be well about the average.

Could you do this small correction and reupload in here again so I can have a second listen ? Other than that, your recording was absolutely perfect.

thanks

Sonia

Post Posted:: October 14th, 2017, 4:23 am 

Hello Sonia

Many thanks for your fantastic reply, and apologies for the delay in getting back to you - stupidly, I kept looking at my email inbox and only realised I should look at the forum posts today - Duh!

I'm delighted and relieved that you liked my one minute test and found it to be interesting in the read! I'm fascinated that there is a vocal twin on here too - I can assure you it's not me as I'm still finding the upload process a bit complicated :-(

I'm a bit surprised that the volume was low - although it was very loud on my headphones, I'm afraid the whole technical side, such as levels, settings, etc., are still all new to me. However, I have amplified the signal in Audacity as per your instructions and repost it below.

There are a few short stories I would like to cut my teeth on, both in terms of character voice as well as the all important technical settings, and I will certainly look at the drama section, following your kind words :-)

Thanks again for your comments and advice, and here is the boosted one minute test:

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_jimsvox4.mp3

I do hope that is correct now.

Best wishes
Jim

Post Posted:: October 14th, 2017, 4:47 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

jimsvox4 wrote:
Many thanks for your fantastic reply, and apologies for the delay in getting back to you - stupidly, I kept looking at my email inbox and only realised I should look at the forum posts today - Duh!

if you tick the box to receive email alerts on new posts in your User profile, you will get those alerts. I also have this box ticked, I love getting email alerts LOL

Quote:
I'm fascinated that there is a vocal twin on here too - I can assure you it's not me as I'm still finding the upload process a bit complicated :-(

haha you will get used to it in time. As for the twin...maybe one day you both read in the same project and we'll find out :mrgreen:

Quote:
I'm a bit surprised that the volume was low - although it was very loud on my headphones, I'm afraid the whole technical side, such as levels, settings, etc., are still all new to me. However, I have amplified the signal in Audacity as per your instructions and repost it below.

YES ! this one is at 87.9, absolutely good. I can mark your test OK now and let you loose on the board 8-)

Here are two handy programs to help you with your volume. One is replay gain, a plug in for Audacity. It calculates the exact amount for you, by which you have to increase your volume to get to the required average of 89 dB. I use it in ALL my recordings. :wink:

Quote:
Replay Gain plugin for Audacity: - http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=4668

1. Save the file to your computer - your desktop or somewhere where you can easily find it.
2. Now browse to the folder in which Audacity is installed. It's probably in C:\Program Files\Audacity) and then open the Plug-Ins folder.
3. Drag the file you saved into the Plug-Ins folder.
4. When next you start up Audacity, you will be able to select the whole recording (Ctrl+A on Windows), then go to Analyze | ReplayGain, and it'll tell you how much to amplify your file to get to about 89 dB.

Another one is the Checker program. Our DPLers will surely use this to check your technical settings. I used it to check your test settings. Checker tells you if the exported mp3 is Mono or Stereo, checke the volume level, the background noise. It flags anything that is not Librivox standard. I check all my recordings in checker before I upload on the board. That way I can correct some things before I make the DPLer go through it. ;)

You can download it here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker

To me they are invaluable tools.

Quote:
There are a few short stories I would like to cut my teeth on, both in terms of character voice as well as the all important technical settings, and I will certainly look at the drama section, following your kind words :-)

yay ! another voice talent roped in :mrgreen:

And yes, starting with "small" sections is a good idea. It's always better to test the waters with a short recording (poem or short story) than with a long chapter of about an hour. If you mess up the recording, it's less time lost in a three minute poem ;) until you get better.

Well, good luck then and have fun ! And maybe one day I'll PL you in a drama play :9:

Sonia

Post Posted:: October 14th, 2017, 6:21 am 

Hi Sonia

Wow! Thank you so much for all your help and suggestions! I've downloaded the extra links you sent so I'm ready to try them out too.

I'm so looking forward to all of this!

Best wishes
Jim